EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Copy Paste in explorer doesn't generate events

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:03:35
by Jason Coleman (Basic support level)

Hi there,

I have enabled both OnRenameOrMoveFileC and OnRenameOrMoveFileN for a file. If I rename it (using F2 shortcut) the appropriate event is fired. However, if I use copy/paste (CTRL-C/CTRL-V) from explorer no events are generated. Also, dragging and dropping a file is not intercepted for this file.

Any thoughts? Have I misunderstodd how this should work? If so, is it possible to add this feature?
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:16:21
by Eugene Mayevski (Team)

Copying is not renaming, so no wonder that you receive nothing. I can't say for sure about drag/drop.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:22:53
by Vladimir Cherniga (Team)

It should raise subsequent create/open and write callbacks in this case.
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:25:07
by Vladimir Cherniga (Team)

You may check the detail file system log with another tool from microsoft - procmon.
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:34:46
by Jason Coleman (Basic support level)

"Copying is not renaming, so no wonder that you receive nothing. I can't say for sure about drag/drop."

True, copying is not renaming, but the function I am using is called OnRenameOrMoveFileN/C ;-) . The question is, when you copy/paste in the same directory. A file called "Copy of ...." is created. pasting in another directory is a move. If you copy from one directory and paste into another then is it a move?

The description of the function is:

"This notification callback is called when the OS needs to rename or move the file within a file system."

The important word here is move. Should the move callback be fired when a filter file is moved in this manner?
Posted: 04/13/2012 07:13:19
by Eugene Mayevski (Team)

Where do you see moving? Copy/paste is copy/paste, it's not moving. A new file is created and written

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2448 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS business operates as a division of /n software, inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!