EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Monitoring Network Path

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 06/16/2011 05:39:07
by Theo Z (Basic support level)

Does CallbackFilter support monitoring a network path? I've tried your C# FileMon sample program, put \\TZ-VISTA\Temp\*.* as a file path to monitor (where TZ-VISTA was a virtual computer on VMWare) and it didn't work. I used the latest version, i.e. v2.2.39 (May 7, 2011).

Please help.

Posted: 06/16/2011 06:03:27
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

It supports Lanman redirector client for sure. What filter path returns in BaseFilter sample when you add rule ?
Posted: 06/17/2011 06:23:35

Thanks for your response.

I've tried the BaseFilter sample, put \\TZ-VISTA\Temp\*.* on the mask text box, press Accept button and the Filter Mask column on the grid returned \Device\LanmanRedirector\TZ-VISTA\Temp\*.*.
Posted: 06/17/2011 07:01:56

Thank you for the information. Please describe in more details how to reproduce this problem (detail steps, host operation system, etc).
Posted: 06/21/2011 09:29:50

Thanks for your response. To reproduce, just use the C# FileMon sample and put the network path in there. It doesn't work in here. I used Windows 7 64bit and Vista 64bit. Any other information you need?
Posted: 06/22/2011 01:27:58

I will check the issue in a short.
Posted: 06/22/2011 10:04:04

This is a problem resolving network UNC path name to device name in Windows Vista and 7. Try to change filter mask as follow: \Device\MUP\TZ-VISTA\Temp\*.*
Posted: 06/24/2011 12:22:25

Thanks for the information. Yes, the filter mask above works if the activity (file open, read, write, etc.) happens on the local computer where the FileMon program is running. But if the activity happens on the remote computer (e.g. on TZ-VISTA computer), it doesn't work. Does the current library support this feature? If not, do you have any plan to support this on the future version?
Posted: 06/24/2011 13:12:24
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Do you mean having something on computer A and spying on disk activity on computer B? This is technically not possible unless you have an agent running on computer B and collecting the data for you.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/24/2011 13:18:53

You cannot monitor local activity on a remote computer. You may filter access from the local computer to the remote path (with installed filter on a local machine) or yo may filter a requests from remote computer to a local file system resource (setting filter on a local path). There is no other filter paths available.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Topic viewed 4943 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!