EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Malformed FileName in Callbacks

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 08/18/2010 11:10:12
by Leandro Becker (Standard support level)

I'm getting malformed FileName in Callbacks when using AddFilterCallbackRule with a volume mounting point (Volume{guid}) instead X:\*.*. The callback is being called with \Device\HarddiskVolume8file.txt instead of \Device\HarddiskVolume8\file.txt or X:\file.txt. Better if callback were called with Volume{guid}\file.txt, witch allows me to easily detect from with volume mounting point this callback is related to.

Callback filter version:

Posted: 08/18/2010 11:57:34
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Hello, i will try to reproduce the bug. From the file system view all file names are represented in \Device\HarddiskVolumeX\filename.ext. Any volume mounting points are translated into this form, for the convenience it is translated to the X:\ form in user callback. There is no information kept in driver about the original filter rule representation. We will think how to resolve this issue until next release.
Posted: 08/18/2010 12:26:30

Could you specify the exact filter rule you've got the problem. I cannot reproduce the bug.
Posted: 08/18/2010 13:13:01
by Leandro Becker (Standard support level)

Sample code for a volume in my machine:
m_CbFlt.AddFilterCallbackRule(L"Volume{1c8a2152-7f96-11df-944b-002618270e47}\", (CallbackFilter::CbFltCallbackFlags)(
         CallbackFilter::ReadCallback |
         CallbackFilter::WriteCallback |
         CallbackFilter::CreateCallback |
         CallbackFilter::SetSizesCallback |
         CallbackFilter::DeleteCallback |
         CallbackFilter::OpenCallback |

Now I'm passing the volume name like
and the callbacks are working fine, returning X:\ instead of \Device...

Maybe a documentation update about the behaviour of callbacks when passing or not a wildcard mask to AddFilterCallbackRule should help...

Thank you!

Thank you.
Posted: 08/18/2010 14:11:25

Using the syntax without wild-card mask implies that exact path specified in mask should be the same with file path specified in file system request. In your case it should triggers callback in the case of volume open. The documentation will be fixed in the part of this issue.
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Topic viewed 2068 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!