EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

folder redirection into the SFS

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 06/07/2010 12:04:13
by tagnal (Basic support level)

I was wondering if there was a recommended way of redirecting the files a user would save into their "my documents" directory to the SolFS?
Posted: 06/07/2010 12:33:34
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You can do this by combining SolFS Driver Edition with CallbackFilter.

Using CallbackFilter 2.1 you can set reparse rules which will redirect all operations with My Documents folder to another volume. If memory serves, reparse rules work only on NTFS folder, though (this is Windows design limitation).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/07/2010 17:59:43
by tagnal (Basic support level)

The CallbackFilter looks very interesting. I was originally looking at redirecting files into a SolFS in order to make sure they are encrypted. Reading the description of the CallbackFilter I am wondering if it can be done another way.

Using the CallbackFilter, can one intercept all read/writes to the current users "My Documents" and "Desktop" directories? When enabled, encrypt/decrypt data read/written to those directories? When not enabled, prevent read/writes to those directories? (having different modes of operation)
Posted: 06/08/2010 12:38:06
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, see Encryptor sample. You can do exactly what you describe using CallbackFilter. You can completely block access to the folder on boot level (see on-boot rules in help files), then, when your applications is started, perform encryption/decryption of the folder contents.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2601 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!