EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

OnWriteFileN for directory?

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 05/26/2009 09:52:24
by Phil Nash (Standard support level)

Hi,

I have a filter installed for OnWriteFileN events. In general it seems to be working as I'd expect, but in some cases (notably after I close an MS Office document) I'll get a write event for the parent directory that the document was in.

What does it mean to get a write event for a directory (the directory previously existed and has not been modified during this process, as far as I can tell).

The Position parameter is 0 and BytesToWrite is 4096 (which is presumably just the minimum block size, so probably just the default).

Regards,

Phil
Posted: 05/27/2009 13:42:27
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Hi,
directories in the FAT or NTFS should be considered as a files which stores information about another files and subdirectories that belongs to it. When you modify file its time and size attributes are changed. Information about this changes is duplicated into the parent directory record. This method accelerate directories browsing, allowing not to read every file in partial directory.
Posted: 06/01/2009 10:58:11
by Phil Nash (Standard support level)

Thanks for the reply, Vladimir. Sorry I didn't see it before - I must have not subscribed to email updates on this thread.

Anyway, your explanation made sense, so thanks for that.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2495 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!