EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Multi-threaded callback handling.

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 01/19/2009 16:00:40
by Edwin Babadaglian (Basic support level)

Greetings.

I've just started evaluating CallbackFilter 1.0.13 and have a general usage question.

If I wanted to write a dynamic file-monitoring application that watches several unrelated directories, each in a separate thread, will each thread have to install/uninstall the driver? The intended application is expected to be watching 0 or more directories at any point in time and can change while it's running.

Thanks for any help. -Edwin
Posted: 01/20/2009 01:18:52
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

1) The driver is installed once before any possible use. Normally you install the driver not from your application itself, but from the application installer. Of course during debugging or if you create some kind of portable application you might need to install the driver from your application. But you must remember that installation of the driver requires administrative rights (i.e. can be done only by the user who belongs to Administrators group), so if you add this code to your application, the application itself will require administrative rights to be run.

2) Monitoring is done by the kernel-mode threads, which report activities to user-mode threads. These are different threads that don't have one-to-one correspondence. So callbacks are called in context of user-mode worker thread(s). The number of worker threads is controlled by ThreadPoolSize property.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2631 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!