EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Clarification?

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 08/27/2008 10:02:56
by Joe Portman (Basic support level)

In the blurb for Callback Filter the following features are advertised:

• control over operation before it is performed;

• This doesn't appear to be true in all cases. In the case of the CbFltReadFileC, the data has already been read from disk, IE, we are called AFTER the event has already happened.

• possibility to perform the operation without passing it to the underlying file system;

• I would dearly love to learn how to do this for opens, reads and writes, IE, I handle ALL the IO for a given file.

• possibility to modify the passed parameters before or after the underlying file system performs the operation;

• What does this mean exactly, can I modify the Open behaviour? IE, can I change the access mode to be writethrough, etc?

Thanks for your help.
JP
Posted: 08/27/2008 10:09:56
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Joe Portman wrote:
This doesn't appear to be true in all cases. In the case of the CbFltReadFileC, the data has already been read from disk, IE, we are called AFTER the event has already happened.

Probably that's a bug.

Joe Portman wrote:
I would dearly love to learn how to do this for opens, reads and writes, IE, I handle ALL the IO for a given file.

This can be done by setting ProcessRequest parameter to false.

Joe Portman wrote:
What does this mean exactly, can I modify the Open behaviour? IE, can I change the access mode to be writethrough, etc?

Currently these parameters can't be modified. We will update this for release.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2008 13:49:52
by Joe Portman (Basic support level)

Joe Portman wrote:
I would dearly love to learn how to do this for opens, reads and writes, IE, I handle ALL the IO for a given file.

This can be done by setting ProcessRequest parameter to false.

Umm, not really. If you set ProcessRequest to false on reads, the upper layer application receives NO DATA from the read.

The semantics of the callbacks is slightly confusing. If we want to INTERCEPT the operation and do the work in it's stead, then perhaps we need a different option than just "process request" or "don't process request". We need to say "all is well, I TOOK CARE OF IT, don't do anything more".

JP

Posted: 08/28/2008 00:46:21
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

We discussed just this on Tuesday and we will modify the callback parameter list to make it possible for the application to tell CallbackFilter, what should be done.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 3751 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!