EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Pre-sales Question Outlook and SQL

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 08/26/2008 20:35:29
by Adam Kotter (Basic support level)

Hi,

My company makes remote backup software. Currently we use Microsofts VSS to backup open files, however this does not do well on some file types. I am hoping to use your callback filter to do the initial backup of an open file, and then monitor the file for any changes and back those up. I'm not sure how, or even if I can use the filter to backup open files. My first question is, is this possible?

My second question. Assuming I can get an initial copy of a file, Can I use your filter to monitor all file changes and copy those changes? In other words, can we basically do a file mirror? If the system modifies/deletes file A can that modification be captured and applied to a remote copy of the file?

Final question. Would there be a limit to the type of file? Could I do this to SQL databases? PST files? Etc?

I know I should probably break this into three post, but I thought this might be simplier. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
Posted: 08/26/2008 23:16:57
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If the filter is installed before the file is copied, then you will be able to track file open operations and then backup the data blocks as they are written. So all of your tasks are possible.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2008 04:23:05

Thank you for your reply.

I understand how I could track file open operations and then backup the data blocks as they are written if the filter is installed before the file is copied. However how could I use the filter to copy a locked or open file? Do you have any examples of this?
Posted: 08/27/2008 05:04:29

Adam Kotter wrote:
I could track file open operations and then backup the data blocks as they are written if the filter is installed before the file is copied

The filter must be activated before the file is opened. CallbackFilter doesn't provide any specific functionality to open the file which is already opened by other application.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2008 05:17:40

In future versions we will add a function that will let you open the already opened file.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2008 06:05:02

That sounds good. When you say future versions, is this something that is coming soon or years down the road. I'm not trying to hold you to a specific date, just trying to get a feel for your time frame.

Thanks !
Posted: 08/27/2008 06:27:15

I can't promise that this will go to 1.0 release as it is close now, but even if no, we'll add the function to 1.1.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/28/2008 04:52:23

When do you release 1 will be out? What is your target date for 1.1?
Posted: 08/28/2008 08:45:06

We are still working on important changes that must be introduced before 1.0 release and which are based on last minute suggestions and reports of the users (you can see them in the other forum posts). 1.0 release is postponed to September and 1.1 is expected in october-november.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 6058 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!