EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Improved Vista Support

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 02/22/2008 11:08:47
by Fernando Nunes (Basic support level)

Has i said on my previous post, we're using your Callback FS Driver (x86 and x64) and it runs smoothly on Windows XP and Windows Server 2003.

On Windows Vista... thats not case. It acts as an Hard Drive, but it chokes on directory listing and file copy.
We're already setting the Filesystem Name to either NTFS or FAT32 but it doesn't helps.

What guidelines you suggest to improve performance/compatibility with Vista ?
If its more related to OS/Driver interaction, do you guys plan to improve Windows Vista compatibility/performance ?

Best regards,
Fernando Nunes
Posted: 02/22/2008 11:50:29
by Dan Cooper (Basic support level)

I have been using in Vista for some time now and have no problems at all, it works as the XP version does.
Posted: 02/22/2008 12:08:33
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

There are certain minor vista-specific things like no recycle bin on Vista, which will be addressed in the next major release. But this is not related to any hangs, blocks, deadlocks etc. .

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/28/2008 17:11:40
by Fernando Nunes (Basic support level)

Ok, i know what the problem is.

Vista, for large files (i.e. 240Mb) tries to do writes on 8Mb each time.
Thats too much information for me to handle in a timely fashion before a callback timeout occurs.

Can something be done in order to make Vista reduce the ammount of bytes to be written per each callback ?

Hey, Dan, by the way, which combo of settings you enable (UseSystemCache, SerializeCallbacks, StorageCharacteristics, AllowDelayedClose) and where from does your filesystem gets data from ?
Posted: 02/29/2008 02:25:14
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately you can't manage the size of a data that is passed to the callbacks. Because there are a lot of factors that can influence on the size of data. For example an originator of the write request (Windows File Explorer, etc) can pass a big data chunk that will be directly passed to the write callback.
You can either cache the obtained in the callbacks data locally or change the timeout values - the one is global as the parameter in the MountMedia method, and the other is local (see the ResetTimeout method).

Fernando Nunes wrote:
Hey, Dan, by the way, which combo of settings you enable (UseSystemCache, ...

BTW it's necessary to set the property UseSystemCache to true if your code (in the CallbackFS callbacks) uses CACHED file i/o operations.
Posted: 03/07/2008 07:19:42

Since writing that comment we have started experiencing issues with CBFS on Vista also, deleting a folder causes explorer to freeze which I think is a deadlock as we cannot kill our process or the explorer process from task manager. We also see the issue when writing a large number or files (installing iTunes), it appears to freeze explorer and our process. These issues do not happen on XP.
Posted: 03/07/2008 07:59:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I've just uploaded a new build to the site. Please check that one - it fixes some slowness on Vista.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/10/2008 13:40:55

I have been testing the build and it is an improvement but we are still seeing a major slow down on file copy operations. We are trying to copy a large folder structure of files of varying size (the tes t folder is a Photoshop install folder as it has a variety of file sizes), the copy operation starts off ok but gets slower and slower until it is barely responding. The same operation runs at a consistent speed in XP.
Posted: 03/10/2008 14:03:31
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

We will check it. Please specify what CallbackFS API (.NET 1.1, .NET 2.0, VCL, C++) are you using? Is the flag UseSystemCache set? And where do the callbacks store copied files?
Posted: 03/10/2008 14:04:52

It is .NET API 1.1, UseSystemCache is true and the files are stored in SolFS.

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 10530 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!