EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Disk not appearing in Vista explorer

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 09/04/2007 08:10:14
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Could you please try the following. After the problem has occurred, log off (not switch) the current user and log in again. Whether the mount point will appear?
Posted: 09/04/2007 08:19:07
by Petr Chmelar (Basic support level)

Yes, I im in exact the same situation. Our CBFS runs as a part of a service. When you log off and back on the mount point appears.

Petr Chmelar
Posted: 09/04/2007 08:26:04
by Petr Chmelar (Basic support level)

Strange enough, in Total Commander (when I press CTRL-R to refresh) the drive appears. Probably TC actively detects the new drives instead of relying on some system notification that Explorer seems to use. Even after refresh in TC (where the volume appears) I still can't see it in Explorer...

Petr Chmelar
Posted: 09/04/2007 09:39:16
by Dan Cooper (Basic support level)

I meant does it required another Windows service to start in order to process whatever notification Windows requires that the storage has been started?
Posted: 09/04/2007 10:11:30

I've found the reason of the problem. The service under Vista cannot send the message WM_DEVICECHANGE to the currently logged users' applications (at least now I don't know how to do it). This message is sent (by means of BroadcastSystemMessage call) after a mount point is created.
We are working on this problem...
Posted: 09/05/2007 02:26:31

Windows Vista isolates services in Session 0 and runs applications in other sessions. And services cannot send window messages to user applications.
The solution of the problem exists but it's not simple. We plan to do it. But now the simplest solution is the following:
After a CBFS disk will be created/deleted, you should call the code from the attached file in the context of an user session.

[ Download ]
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Topic viewed 13188 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!