EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

OnStorageEjected not fired

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 08/19/2016 07:42:46
by Robert Schmidtke (Standard support level)

Hi,

I'm running CbFS 6.1.182 on Windows 7 (64bit) (SP1). I create a mount point using

CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK | CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK_ALLOW_MAP_AS_DRIVE | CBFS_SYMLINK_LOCAL

This way the network drive shows up fine in the explorer and I can browse it. However when I disconnect it or I eject it, OnStorageEjected does not fire, i.e. my callback is not called. Is there anything else I have to in order to receive this event?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Robert
Posted: 08/22/2016 11:41:11
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hi Robert,

Could you please specify how to reproduce it?

Thanks.
Posted: 08/22/2016 12:31:07

Hi Volodymyr,

have a look at: https://github.com/robert-schmidtke/xtreemfs/blob/windows-improvements/cpp/src/cbfs/cbfs_adapter.cpp#L967 for the creation of the mount point and at https://github.com/robert-schmidtke/xtreemfs/blob/windows-improvements/cpp/src/cbfs/cbfs_adapter.cpp#L926 for the options I set on CbFS. I believe these settings should be correct for an ejectable PnP drive.

I noticed that when using eject from the Windows try, the unmount callback will be called, but not the storageejected callback. I have installed the driver with PnP enabled.

Under what circumstances would the onStorageEjected event not be fired?

Thanks!
Robert
Posted: 08/24/2016 05:27:45

The OnStorageEjected callback is called only when the storage is destroyed. Perhaps in your case only the mounting point is deleted (not the storage at all).

Robert Schmidtke wrote:
However when I disconnect it or I eject it, OnStorageEjected does not fire

As I understand the "disconnect" operation means that you clicked on the "Disconnect network drive" menu item in Explorer. If so then only the mounting point is deleted. What does it mean - "eject"?

Thanks.
Posted: 08/24/2016 06:37:01

You're right, I use the disconnect option from the Windows Explorer. However when ejecting using the system tray icon, the same one you use to eject a USB drive for example, then the OnStorageEjected is not fired.

When disconnecting using the Windows Explorer, then the OnUnmount is fired as expected.

How would I completely destroy the storage from Windows?
Posted: 08/25/2016 06:17:35

I will add this problem to our ToDo list. Unfortunately we can't start working with it earlier than in several months.
As a variant please check whether the problem is reproducible with the Mapper sample. If it isn't then try to make your code to be similar to that one.
Another variant check periodically the presence of the network mounting point and destroy the storage when it disappears.

Thanks.
Posted: 08/25/2016 08:08:36
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Robert Schmidtke wrote:
How would I completely destroy the storage from Windows?

Are you sure this is possible at all for network drives?

I don't think we'll ever be able to invest into investigation of this issue on our side. New policies regarding such investigations are different from the ones we had.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/25/2016 11:01:40

I have tried the Mapper example (with enabled PnP) and the behavior is the same. Upon ejecting the Storage from the System Tray, the OnStorageEjected is not fired, which should cause the buttons in the application to turn grey again.
Posted: 08/26/2016 07:25:27

Hi Robert,

I have been able to reproduce the problem. There is a bug inside CBFS user mode library. It will be fixed in the next CBFS build. Unfortunately we don't have strict terms when the next build is done. Maybe in a month or so.

Thanks.
Posted: 10/24/2016 08:04:06

Hi Volodymyr,

looking at the history of changes, I take this issue has been fixed in release 6.1.183?

Thanks!
Robert
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1648 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!