EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

ECBFSError not working for file deletion

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 08/01/2016 21:05:10
by Handaya  (Priority Standard support level)

I'm trying to throw an error when deleting certain file. Based on some checking on the forum, I'm aware that I should use the throw inside CbFsCanFileBeDeleted, not in CbFsDeleteFile. However, after some trials with several errors (ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION, ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED, ERROR_FILE_EXISTS, ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND), none of them showing any error. Could anyone please advise me on how to work with this matter? Another matter, when I tried to delete an opened file, it showed ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION message. Could anyone please tell me which method threw this error? Thank you in advance.
Posted: 08/02/2016 02:02:58
by William Levra-Juillet (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,

We return the following errors, and it works as expected:
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
ERROR_DIR_NOT_EMPTY
ERROR_PATH_NOT_FOUND
ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Must be something in your implementation.
Did you try to modify the mapper sample and see how it behaves?
Posted: 08/02/2016 04:05:29
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for interesting of our product. Try the problem with one of the CBFS samples. Also read this article https://www.eldos.com/cbfs/articles/7966.php Perhaps it will shed a light on the problem.

cyberboy wrote:
Another matter, when I tried to delete an opened file, it showed ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION message.

If a file was already opened without FILE_SHARE_DELETE then the next opening of the file with the "delete" access throws ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION.
Posted: 08/02/2016 04:20:02

I tried with original cpp sample, modified it a bit by forcing the throw at the first place CbFsCanFileBeDeleted and CbFsDeleteFile were called. Putting the break point over there, I confirmed that the method were called and program stopped at the break point during debugging. I don't see the reason why the throw didn't work. By the way, the file of course remains undeleted.

Below is how I did it.
void CbFsCanFileBeDeleted(CallbackFileSystem* Sender, CbFsFileInfo* FileInfo, CbFsHandleInfo* HandleInfo, BOOL* CanBeDeleted)
{
throw ECBFSError(ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND);
*CanBeDeleted = TRUE;
}

When I put the throw in other method like CbFsEnumerateDirectory, error message was displayed.

Could you please tell me where the problem lies?
Thank you in advance.
Posted: 08/02/2016 04:51:32
by William Levra-Juillet (Priority Standard support level)

cyberboy wrote:
{
throw ECBFSError(ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND);
*CanBeDeleted = TRUE;
}

Set CanBeDeleted to FALSE before throwing the error?
Posted: 08/02/2016 04:57:44
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Please read the article I specified above. It seems the file is deleted by means of the second variant.
Posted: 08/02/2016 08:30:04

Thank you all for the responses.

Volodymyr Zinin:
I firstly created the file from command line using echo command (echo test > test.txt). After that I executed delete command also from command line (del test.txt).
Here, only CbFsCanFileBeDeleted method was called. The sample program ended after throw ECBFSError(ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND); but there was no error shown, meaning, the throw was ignored in some way and the file was not deleted.

William Levra-Juillet:
Already tried setting it to false, but it still didn't give any error.
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 824 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!