EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How to keep a C#-based CBFS-5 Windows Service running?

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 07/22/2016 10:27:27
by Comforte  (Standard support level)

Hello,

[CBFS version: 5; Windows 8]

we are developing CBFS (Version 5) Code in C# and it runs fine, but now we want to turn it into a Windows Service. The Problem is that once we setup the service with the C# ServiceBase class, our CBFS-based code will just exit and not keep running. We are not sure what needs to be done to keep the CBFS code alive. Shouldn't it like FUSE on Linux just register itself for Kernel events and by that stay alive until it stops listening? Or are we not calling the function properly that would start the listening to Kernel events?

Thanks!
Posted: 07/22/2016 10:45:59
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I’ve noticed there is no support access ticket linked to your user account on EldoS site. Support is provided to customers with the linked support access tickets. You will find your support access ticket together with all the details about how to use it in the registration e-mail that we’ve sent to you upon the purchase.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/22/2016 11:06:22

I'll link the ticket on Monday, the person responsible for buying CBFS is not in the office anymore
Posted: 07/25/2016 12:47:45

Hi,

I've linked the tickets now via the my control center....
Posted: 07/27/2016 11:00:52
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Comforte wrote:
Shouldn't it like FUSE on Linux just register itself for Kernel events and by that stay alive until it stops listening?

No, it shouldn't. Linux architecture is very very different from Windows' one.

You must have the controlling process running all the time. This means that your service, or other process which handles callbacks, must run at all times. If they are terminated or shut down, the disks are unmounted automatically.

The code that creates the disk should be there as well - you can't mount the disk in one process and handle the requests in other process.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 741 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!