EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Handle special remote files (microsoft office)

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 06/08/2016 03:24:11
by Lutz Moeller (Basic support level)

Hallo Eldos-Team,

I'm using CBFS to representate files from an ECS S3 storage. I mount the storage as a network drive (similar to your SFTP-example) and the representation of the files in windows explorer works very well.
When I open a file I open a stream to the remote file and read from it in the "OnReadFile". This works fine as well for most files.

My primary problem is on saving files. On most files I can stream back the file when "OnWriteFile" is called. But the Microsoft Office products handles save on a special way with creating temporary files and rename them back to the original (even different on Word, Excel, PP). Probably you already noticed that.
Is there a known workaround or best practice to handle this issue? Or do I really have to implement my own way?
My intention is to save the file temporary local and handle/redirect all the events (create temp file, write to temp file, rename to original/upload). But this is pretty intense workload for a problem that probably appears for everyone using eldos with remote files.
Do you have a hint or solution to my problem?

Update: Additional Info: I'm using .NET 4.5.1 and C# for implementation

Thanks a lot and best regards
Lutz Moeller
Posted: 06/09/2016 03:01:44
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Lutz,

There is no some strict way to handle this issue. But maybe the best is implement a local cache where recently used data is placed (read and written by callbacks) and by means of a worker thread synchronize this cache asynchronously with the remote storage.
Posted: 06/09/2016 15:24:04
by Lutz Moeller (Basic support level)

Hi Volodymyr,

this is really too bad. But thanks for the hint!

Topic viewed 707 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!