EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

System not closing EXE files

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 08/01/2007 06:15:35
by Dan Cooper (Basic support level)

Hi,

I have come across an issue with .EXE files within a CallbackFS, I just want to see if anyone else has seen this problem.

If I have an EXE inside the file system among other file types and I browse to the disk with Explorer it seems to open each file in turn and close them again apart from EXE files which are opened and closed at least once and then opened without closing. This is causing me a problem when I am trying to track open handles and run events when the system closes all open files as the EXEs remain open.

Has anyone else seen this phenomenon?

Thanks,
Dan
Posted: 08/01/2007 06:24:15
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I have no answer but please specify the OS and try checking the same on different OSes. It's possible that the behaviour is specific to Explorer and it's approach to extracting properties and icons for EXEs. Also, this can be Vista-specific behaviour.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/01/2007 06:25:22

The OS is Windows XP SP2 and unfortunately I don't have another OS to test on. I was just hoping maybe someone had seen the issue before.

Regards,
Dan
Posted: 08/01/2007 06:29:06
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

The system can hold open an exe-file because it was cached. So in the future it was possible to execute the file maximum quickly (without reading its data from the storage).
Try to delete the file. Will the Close callback be called?
Posted: 08/01/2007 06:33:09

It does close the handle when I delete the file so it must be open for caching. Is there any way to tell if a file is open for caching?

The system I am working on runs a timed operation on the storage but only executes if there are no open streams. When the system keeps a stream open it is causing the operation not to run.
Posted: 08/01/2007 07:18:51
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Dan Cooper wrote:
Is there any way to tell if a file is open for caching?

Currently not. But we can create the api-function which will help to check are all open handles to a file closed but it stays cached by the system.
Posted: 08/01/2007 07:59:27

That would be great. How long will such a function take to implement?

Thanks,
Dan
Posted: 08/01/2007 08:24:23

About a week to add it properly to all interfaces.

The function itself should not be a problem, but we need to figure out how to provide the functionality you need in the way that is useful for all users and not just your specific case.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/01/2007 08:27:16

That is great! If there is any way we could get a function sooner (Even if you pointed me in the right direction to add it to the source code) that would be much appreciated as we are hoping to release a prototype this week and without it we will need to assume all open streams can be closed which could cause potential problems.

Thanks,
Dan
Posted: 08/01/2007 08:54:06

Unfortunately there are many changes/additions to be made in the code so telling you how to make them would take the same time that implementing them. We will try to make the features by week-end, but I can't promise.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 12118 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!