EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Issues with Multithrading and GetOriginatorProcessName

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 11/16/2012 12:29:09
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

OnGetVolumeSize is usually called by the OS itself, probably from context of the system process. Does GetOriginatorProcessName works for you in other callbacks (Please check OnCreateFile/OnOpenFile).

In general, GetOriginator* functions were created for access control on files and folders and doesn't make much meaning in OnGetVolumeSize (note that you can not provide different information for different processes or users).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/16/2012 12:58:55
by Ivan P (Priority Standard support level)

Yes, it works in other callbacks: it returns FALSE in case of a System process (so I can understand that there will be no process name), or TRUE when it's something else.
GetOriginatorProcessId works fine in this callback.

I have a general debug logging function that tries to show as much information about callback as it can, that's why this is called from GetVolumeSize callback.

Currenty I worked around this by checking (processId == 4).
Posted: 11/19/2012 14:25:58
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Ivan P wrote:
I noticed that calling GetOriginatorProcessName(ref string) from the OnGetVolumeSize callback it returns true indicating success, but the returned string value contains trash.

There is a bug there. It will be corrected in the next build (for the version 4 as well as 3.2).

Topic viewed 4982 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!