EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How to restrict write operation on a file without setting the readonly

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 01/19/2016 20:56:32
by Devender Reddy (Standard support level)

Hello,

I have a requirement, where based on some criteria, writes should be blocked, but at the same time move/replacing this file with another version of this file should succeed (Effectively I want to maintain this file as a view/read only copy. At the same time, if somebody modified it, then I want to get the latest version for this file).

In order to achieve this I tried with both methods.

1) Setting the file readonly attribute:
With this approach, I was able to block the user from writing, but the move is failing with access denied permission.

Code

public void LockOrUnlockFile(string filePath, bool toLock)
        {
            string fileName = filePath.Remove(0, 2);
            int attr = _solFSStorage.GetFileAttributes(fileName);

if (toLock) {
                attr |= SolFSFileAttribute.attrReadOnly;
                lockedFiles.Add(fileName, AccessTypes.Read);
            } else {
                attr &= ~SolFSFileAttribute.attrReadOnly;
                lockedFiles.Remove(fileName);
            }
            _solFSStorage.SetFileAttributes(fileName, attr);
        }

2) By putting the checks in OnWriteFile event.
With this nothing is working, the user was able to modify the file.
Code
_callBackFS.OnWriteFile = new CbFsWriteFileEvent(CbFsWriteFile);

private void CbFsWriteFile(CallbackFileSystem Sender, CbFsFileInfo FileInfo, long Position,
                                   byte[] Buffer, int BytesToWrite, ref int BytesWritten)
        {
            manageAccess(AccessActionTypes.Write, FileInfo.FileName);  // Access Control
            if (isFileOwnedByOther(FileInfo.FileName)) {
                throw new ECBFSError(ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED);
            }

try {
                FileStreamContext Ctx = (FileStreamContext)GCHandle.FromIntPtr(FileInfo.UserContext).Target;
                SolFSStream fs = Ctx.hStream;

fs.Seek(Position, SeekOrigin.Begin);
                fs.Write(Buffer, 0, BytesToWrite);
                BytesWritten = BytesToWrite;
            } catch (ESolFSError E) {
                ThrowCBFSError(E);
            }
        }

So can you please let me know, what is the best way to achieve this functionality.
Posted: 01/20/2016 04:30:14
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

You can try the second variant but with setting the CallbackFileSystem.FileCacheEnabled property to false or setting the CallbackFileSystem.CachePolicyWriteThrough property to true (in the last case the caching is still enabled but for any write operation the OnWrite callback will be called immediately).
Unfortunately there is one case when it doesn't work "as expected" - when the file is written by the use of the memory mapped section (MapViewOfFile, etc). In this case file data, which is being written, is written in memory first (and CBFS doesn't know about this). And only later the system component "memory manager" flushes the data to the file. Of course the OnWrite callback will be called, but if you finish it with error then the memory manager will decide to repeat the operation several times and then show on the active desktop an error message (something like this i.imgur.com/iBA8D9A.png). Although for this case you can try to return "success" from the OnWrite callback if the GetOriginatorProcessId == 4 (which means that the SYSTEM process is performing write).
Posted: 01/21/2016 00:22:03

Hi Volodymyr,

Thanks for the quick response. I tried both options and none of them is triggering the OnWriteFile Event. This event is getting for the other file, but not the one I am interested in(I have a DB file inside my SolidFS and this event is getting triggered for the db journal file). So most probably, it appears to me that the cache is still in place and the CBFS might be doing a lazy write.

So just wondering any other approach through which we can achieve this functionality.
Posted: 01/21/2016 03:54:58

Please specify what version of Callback File System you are using?
Thanks.
Posted: 01/29/2016 17:58:49

Hi Volodymyr,

Sorry for the delayed response, I was a bit occupied with other stuff.

Regarding the version, I am using CBFS5.0.

Thanks
Dev
Posted: 02/01/2016 02:54:43

In the Callback File System version 6 the file data caching was significantly modified. Please try the problem with that version.

Thanks.
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 2495 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!