EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Last access time handling

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 11/23/2015 12:33:31
by Felix Hupfeld (Standard support level)

The win32 SetFileTime documentation states:

"To prevent file operations using the given handle from modifying the last access time, call SetFileTime immediately after opening the file handle and pass a FILETIME structure whose dwLowDateTime and dwHighDateTime members are both set to 0xFFFFFFFF."

I would assume Explorer uses this to avoid last access time updates for thumbnails etc, as indicated here:

I would further assume that this call is mapped to the OnSetFileAttributes handler.

However, I never receive an access time attribute with the special value, and therefore can not get the last access time handling right for these cases. This breaks an application that we need to run over our driver.

Any advice?
Posted: 11/23/2015 13:00:03
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Neither the OnOpenFile callback nor other callbacks should not change LastAccessTime, LastWriteTime, and ChangeTime. When it's necessary to change the OnSetFileAttributes callback is called.

Topic viewed 1556 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!