EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Disk is not formatted error when using CallbackFS

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 06/02/2008 13:38:52
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

BTW does the problem appear on the sample if you comment out the code that creates a directory and files?

It's important to know what happens on your system in various conditions. Of course we will take a look from our point of view, but knowing *your* problem in details helps most.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/03/2008 00:56:31

Thank you for the report about the solution of the problem.
For others who face the same problem -- AllocationSize parameter must be set properly, as described in the help file (multiple of 512 and equal or larger than the file size).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/17/2008 07:01:17
by Brad O'Hearne (Standard support level)

Eugene,

All I see in the documentation regarding this is the following line:

The allocation size is in most cases a multiple of the allocation unit (cluster) size.

What happens if the allocation size is not a multiple of the allocation size, for example, is equal to the file size? This is presently how my app is -- is this a problem?

Brad
Posted: 06/17/2008 07:20:54

You should direct this question to Microsoft.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/17/2008 07:28:50
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

No, it isn't a problem. The only rule is that "allocation size" must be >= "file size" (i.e. "end of file").
Posted: 06/17/2008 07:51:33

I would not rely on this. For generic file system this might be true, but for FAT and NTFS certain problems can arise - these file systems were developed for block devices and as such they can assume that the device is a block one.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/17/2008 09:02:03

For generic file system this might be true, but for FAT and NTFS certain problems can arise

I'm not quite sure what to conclude here -- our file system implementation may be writing underneath the hood to FAT or NTFS, but as far as the definition of the storage / mount point is concerned, there's nothing regarding FAT or NTFS, or any other file system type involved. Why would FAT or NTFS restrictions be imposed on a file system implementation? What if my implementation happened to be writing to both NTFS *and* HFS or some other file system?

Brad
Posted: 06/17/2008 09:24:36

It doesn't matter what your FS implementation writes to. It matters how the OS identifies your implementation. If the name of your file system is FAT, FAT32 or NTFS, the OS identifies your file system as such. If you have a different file system name, then you will face other problems (such as impossibility to run the applications under administrator account in Vista, as we recently have discovered with the other user).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/17/2008 09:46:54

It doesn't matter what your FS implementation writes to. It matters how the OS identifies your implementation.

Therein lies the question: how does the OS identify a file system implementation?

If the name of your file system is FAT, FAT32 or NTFS, the OS identifies your file system as such.

Unless I've overlooked something, I don't recall ever giving my file system such a name. How do I give my file system a name?

B
Posted: 06/17/2008 10:04:06

brado77 wrote:
Therein lies the question: how does the OS identify a file system implementation?

See SetFileSystemName() API function. CBFS by default reports FAT if memory serves.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 23240 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!