EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Many different directories on one virtual disk

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 09/17/2015 04:05:37
by vandernyt (Basic support level)

Hello!

Can I mount only one virtual disk via cbfs to 2 different directories?
e.g. first - "C:\first\images" and second - "E:\second\apps".

Thank you!
Posted: 09/17/2015 04:36:33
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

As I understand your question both "C:\first\images" and "E:\second\apps" are folders on real NTFS volumes and you want to create reparse points on these folders, so they start to point to the same CBFS virtual disk. If so that it should be possible. You can try it with the Mapper sample. Just create there two AddMountingPoint calls:
Code
AddMountingPoint("C:\first\images", CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER, null);
AddMountingPoint("E:\second\apps", CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER, null);
Posted: 09/17/2015 06:50:14
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Could you please tell us what the reason of this operation should be? The user will see the same data in two directories - is this what you want?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/17/2015 07:31:51

In the Mapper sample:
One root directory(g_RootPath = "C:\1") and one mounting points("Z:")
But if I have two or more root directories(e.g. "C:\first\images" and "E:\second\apps"). Can I mount them on the one virtual disk("Z:")?
So if user opens virtual disk "Z:", he will see contents from two directories.
Is it possible?
Posted: 09/17/2015 07:37:54

The sample won't let you do this, but you can modify it so that the contents of two source directories are mixed. The question is what you will do when it's time to put the data to this virtual disk or if there are entries with the same name in two source directories.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/17/2015 08:34:04

Hello Eugene, thanks for your help!

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear in previous post. I meant that I want to see those two folders mapped to one virtual drive e.g. Z(virtual drive) -> images (which points to C:\first\images), apps(E:\second\apps). In other words, I want to have an ability to have an access to different folders with different locations from one virtual drive. Regarding the conflicts, I will manage it by myself by not allowing to add subfolders from specific folder which is already in the list.
Posted: 09/17/2015 08:37:02

Well, what you describe is completely doable with easy modifications of the mapper sample. "Easy" here means a couple of hours of work.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/17/2015 08:48:58

Thanks for your quick reply!

Can you please give me a clue what exactly should I change\use in order to achieve behavior which I described above? Which API from CBFS I need to use? Is it about using the AddMountingPoint?

Thanks!
Posted: 09/17/2015 12:10:19
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

In order to achieve such behavior you need to modify the Mapper sample. First it's required for the OnEnumerateDirectory callback to return that the root folder contains only two subfolders "images" and "apps". Then in the OnOpen and OnGetFileInfo callbacks return that such subdirectories exist. And when the requests comes for contents of these subdirectories just return information as the Mapper sample does (do not change anything, just correct path to the requested "backend" files).
Posted: 09/18/2015 04:06:46

Hello, Volodymyr!
Thank you and thank for good support.
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3995 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!