EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

MSI*****.tmp directories

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 07/01/2015 05:05:49
by kim jonggyue (Basic support level)

Hello,

I have a problem.

during callbackfilesystem,
On this drive, a temporary files "MSI*****.temp" get created.(z:\MSI*****.temp)
i would like to know when and how it get created.
Posted: 07/01/2015 05:26:53
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

I think you need to ask Microsoft about this (MSI prefix suggests that this is something by Microsoft).

You can use Process Explorer tool by Microsoft to monitor operations and find out what exactly process makes the calls. Alternatively you can modify OnCreateFile event handler to call CallbackFileSystem.GetOriginatorProcessName method which will return the name of the process which originated the creation operation.

On a side note, I’ve noticed there is no license ticket linked to your user account on EldoS site. Support is provided to customers with the linked license tickets. You will find your license ticket together with all the details about how to use it in the registration e-mail that we’ve sent to you upon the purchase.

If you are evaluating the product and don't have a license yet, please let us know and then you can have support according to Basic support level. Basic support level includes answering basic technical questions that appear during product evaluation period.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/01/2015 06:13:14
by Andrew Pratt (Standard support level)

Hi Kim

Windows update seems to think it can write junk to any spare drive it finds (I suspect your drive might be of type 'fixed' and perhaps is drive d:)

This happens on normal D:'s as well. If you don't want this to occur you will need to detect the process and block the file create

Often Windows Update is so good it doesn't even clean up the dirty files afterwards.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3078 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!