EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Numerous reports of "Location is Not Available" in the wild

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 06/23/2015 12:25:18
by Eric Simmerman (Standard support level)

I upgraded to cbfs5 relatively recently and have been receiving numerous reports from users who seemingly complete a successful mount of the virtual drive (no error messages or exceptions) but then when my application automatically attempts to open the new drive (using the mountpoint drive letter) they are receiving a "Location is Not Available" error message from Windows.

FWIW: A few users have captured screenshots of this message and I've attached one here.

I haven't changed the mount process/logic in any way since upgrading from cbfs4 and haven't heard these user complaints prior to the upgrade.

Frustratingly - I am completely unable to reproduce this issue in my own testing. I've tried clean builds of Win7 and Win8 both 32 and 64 bit and everything works as expected for me. Just posting to the forums here in the hope that someone else might have some insight into root cause.

Posted: 06/23/2015 12:55:10
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Did you try to add a delay between creation a mounting point and opening the disk? AddMountingPoint is kind of asynchronous and when it returns, the drive letter can be not yet fully accessible for various reasons (eg. Explorer has not yet received notification about the device addition). It makes sense to add a delay for a second or two and see if it changes situation.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/23/2015 15:23:25
by Eric Simmerman (Standard support level)

Ah okay - I'll definitely give that a try.
Posted: 06/24/2015 02:39:17
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

If possible try the problem with the latest build of CBFS driver. It was recently some changes in drive letter notifications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3048 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!