EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How do I Mount to a webdav server using CBFS

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 04/27/2015 04:01:41
by Louie  (Basic support level)

Is it possible to list all files to a CBFS' virtual drive and support all file operations handled by SecureBlackBox? Is there an easier way to do this? I would like to have a project like the SFTP Disk Sample Project but using WebDav instead.

Thanks
Posted: 04/27/2015 04:40:16
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for the interesting of our products. Yes, you can make it. There is even a C# sample WebDAVDisk in the last CBFS build which can be used as a base for your purpose.
Posted: 04/27/2015 21:35:31

Thanks! It's incredibly slow though, I tried connecting the webdav server using net use and it's not that slow, so It has something to do with the program (not my internet connection and the webdav server.) Is it possible to cut down the number of requests? I noticed that it explores directory and files even I am not doing anything.
Posted: 04/28/2015 01:35:03
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

CBFS just translates OS requests to the backend protocol. It is possible that the sample is not as optimal as it could be, but there's not much we can improve there. Explorer is extremely inefficient when it comes to filesystem requests. WebDAV client in Explorer sends 5-6 requests when other clients send just one. It's the same with other filesystems as well.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/28/2015 01:49:05

It's just a sample. It can be made faster by adding, for example, some local cache for the remote data.
I think the main problem with too many requests is Explorer, which reads files in order to obtain thumbnails and other file properties. It is possible to decrease number of such requests by the use of network mounting points. Here is more details about it: https://www.eldos.com/forum/read.php?FID=13&TID=3809
Posted: 04/28/2015 03:19:06

Upon further testing, we are experiencing these problems:
1. It is very slow.
2. We could not save even a single text file. ( connection failure )
3. Word Documents can't be opened. It says that the file might be corrupted.

We tried changing the DiskType to Network but it gives an Invalid Parameter Error
Posted: 04/28/2015 06:07:24
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Are you talking about the sample now? If yes, pleas describe what server you connected to and how you tried to "save the single test file".

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/28/2015 06:18:19

These are the problems of the sample. It's new and not well tested. We will fix the bugs there.

Louie wrote:
We tried changing the DiskType to Network but it gives an Invalid Parameter Error

Instead of changing DiskType change the type of the mounting point. I.e. call something like that:
AddMountingPoint(CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK, "X:;server_name;share_name", null);
Posted: 04/28/2015 06:28:55

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Are you talking about the sample now? If yes, pleas describe what server you connected to and how you tried to "save the single test file".

Yes, We are using SabreDav, I opened the text file with notepad, edit it and saved it, then the log says "Connection failure" and the text file is not saved.
Posted: 04/29/2015 04:08:01

We noticed in the logs that it enumerates every sub folder of the drive, which is causing it to slow down, is there something we can do to enumerate only the directory that is opened by the user? Since the request/callback sent by the user's action and explorer's request is identical.

Volodymyr Zinin wrote:
These are the problems of the sample. It's new and not well tested. We will fix the bugs there.

Ok, please let us know as soon as you fixed it. We are really considering on buying the products, we would want to make sure that we tried everything here to make it work before moving to another possible solution. thanks
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 8718 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!