EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Network drive and Office Protected View

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 04/22/2015 09:16:04
by Bartosz Siewior (Priority Standard support level)

I am mounting drive as a network drive. When I open office files they are opened in the Protected View (see attachment). Is there any way to workaround that? Can I set somehow some security stuff that would prevent that behavior?

Posted: 04/22/2015 09:54:29
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If I understand it right, Office opens files this way when the files are located on network (or maybe even removable) drive. So it depends on how storage properties are set and how the mounting point is created.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/22/2015 10:00:36
by Bartosz Siewior (Priority Standard support level)

Thanks for the answer. That's what I guessed. I'd like to know what kind of properties do I have to set to prevent opening in Protected View. When I use Mapper sample and mount drive as network The file is open in writable mode. I guess that Mapper sets some properties/security information that allows Office to avoid Protected View.

In other words my question is - What is used in Mapper that makes Office's files opened in writable mode when drive is seen as network location?
Posted: 04/22/2015 10:38:45
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Default Mapper sample has security-related callbacks commented out. So it must be the values of StorageType / StorageCharacteristics properties and the flags in AddMountingPoint that affect the behavior.

Also I think the behavior can be different for different versions of Office.

Please note that we can hardly answer the questions of "why does the third-party application behaves this or that way" kind. We can only guess and experiment here, so I can't answer your question directly.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 1866 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!