EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Mount without creating Virtual Disk

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 03/23/2015 03:32:05
by Ace Tan (Basic support level)

Can I mount my network drive without creating a Virtual Disk / mounting point?
Posted: 03/23/2015 04:05:58
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Mounting is an act of creating a mounting point. Thus I am not sure that I understand your actual need. Can you please explain it in more details?

Just in case -- take a look at UNC Path mounting points. They are not visible in Explorer but are accessible via API calls.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/23/2015 04:13:16

For example :

I have a drive Z:

but I do not wish to create a mounting point K: to map Z:

Z: ---> K:

I want the CBFS to function when I open files in drive Z:
Posted: 03/23/2015 04:31:45

Well, this is not what CBFS is for. CBFS lets one create a new virtual filesystem. If you want virtual files on the existing disk, you can try using Virtual Files feature of our CallbackFilter product. However, it's harder to use than CBFS due to architectural specifics.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/21/2015 01:42:21

do you have a sample code on how to mount a network drive to the Virtual Disk created by CBFS?
Posted: 04/21/2015 02:00:04

I am not sure that I understand you right. Let's check my understanding.

You have a remote share (say \\myserver\myshare) which you want to expose on the local computer as disk X: with help of CBFS. Is this correct?

If this is what you want to do, then Mapper sample should handle this task right. You specify \\myserver\myshare as a folder to map and X: as the local mounting point.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/21/2015 02:27:09

that is correct.

but I'm getting an error. "The Username or Password is Incorrect"

I'm already connected to the network drive.
Posted: 04/21/2015 02:48:23

Most likely the sample application in your test is started under the credentials of other user (most likely Administrator) while you've mounted the disk as a local user.

In any case, this particular issue has nothing to do with CBFS -- Mapper sample uses regular WinAPI calls to reach the data in the specified directory.

If you need, you can modify the sample so that it provides credentials for the resource when you create the mapping. As I understand it, this can be done using WNetUseConnection WinAPI function when you specify NULL in lpAccessName parameter. Unfortunately we don't have extensive experience with WNet* functions so I can't give you any additional information about how to use WNetUseConnection .

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3391 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!