EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Cbfs as windows service

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 01/09/2015 23:21:46
by Ram Sharma (Basic support level)

I am trying to setup cbfs as a windows service and ported the windows form mapper sample to service, when i try to run the service..the mounted disk shows up like a Removable disk instead of a share..am I supposed to install anything else or do something different, when does this happen.

Any directions to this will help.

I have windows 2012 R2

Thanks
Posted: 01/10/2015 00:13:29
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The type of the disk is controlled by StorageType and StorageCharacteristics property.

Presence (or lack) of the share is "defined" by what you pass to AddMountingPoint() method.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/10/2015 09:49:23

What characteristics should we use for an eldos shared drive mapped to local folder? And is there a reason it is this way for windows service and not on windows forms for .Net?
Posted: 01/10/2015 13:05:48
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

sheruace21 wrote:
the mounted disk shows up like a Removable disk instead of a share

Please clarify how you want the CBFS disk to be shown? Should it be like a SMB share that is accessible via UNC path (like "\\server\share\...")?
Thanks.
Posted: 01/10/2015 13:49:22

We want the drive to appear as a local drive i.e. Z: or F: etc.

Question 1

What we are noticing is that the CBFS drive disappears once the Windows Forms application is closed. We want the drive to continue running and be available in the background. We are hoping to run create a CBFS drive using Windows Service and not Windows Forms. Can you let us know whether that is possible? What we are expected to do?

Question 2

Once the CBFS drive is mounted, we want to create a folder inside the drive. We want to share that folder as a Windows File Share to other network users.
Posted: 01/10/2015 14:33:22
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

sheruace21 wrote:
Can you let us know whether that is possible? What we are expected to do?

Yes, this is possible. You need to add a globally visible mounting point of "disk" type, i.e .the mounting point name should be "Z:" or whatever other letter is available. This should be enough.

sheruace21 wrote:
Once the CBFS drive is mounted, we want to create a folder inside the drive. We want to share that folder as a Windows File Share to other network users.

Set StorageType property to stDisk and StorageCharacteristics to 0 . This should be enough to make the folder on such disk shareable.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2391 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!