EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Best way to handle thumbnails for images folder

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 11/20/2014 04:37:04
by P├ęzerat Vivien (Basic support level)

Hello,

I'm implementing CBFS in an application which behaves a bit like a network drive but is located in a folder (so i use the mounting flag CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER ). When explorer navigates in a directory with images in it, it reads all of them to make thumbnails. As a result the navigation in this folder is very network-expensive and slow.

I can generate thumbnails on my own and i would like to provide them to the explorer, to prevent it from reading (and downloading) all the image files.

I know it's more a explorer problem than a CBFS problem, but maybe you have experienced the same situation ... What is, in your opinion, the best direction to follow ?
- make a shell extension
- implement alternate data stream
- try to do things with the centralized thumbnail cache of windows

thanks by advance for your answer !
Posted: 11/20/2014 06:05:36
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately we don't have a suitable solution at the moment. I agree that it would be great to have thumbnails somewhere, but I don't know how to have it. as I understand, there's thumbs.db file on the disk which is a cache of thumbnails and I guess that maybe you can make use of such file somehow.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 1734 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!