EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Network drive share is not accessible, permission error

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 11/05/2014 03:14:30
by Madhu J N (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,
I used CBFS AddNetworkMountingPoint() for creating network drive and sharing a folder.

All 3 arguments are passed like below

myCBFS.AddNetworkMountingPoint(;A1;a11; ,true, CbFsNetworkSymLinkFlags.nsmAllowMapAsDrive);

For some reason share is able to access using network path [Eg: \\my_Network\my_folder]

I can see my_Folder is created, but I cannot access.
I'm getting below standard windows permission error
'\\my_Network\my_Folder is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission'
Posted: 11/05/2014 03:39:22
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

First, please specify what version of CBFS you are talking about.

Next, it's not clear where my_network and my_folder come from if you create a totally different share.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/05/2014 04:52:22

Hi,
We are using CBFS version 2.5.61.30328, we also have ultimate license for CBFS 5.1.
Scenario 1: Works fine
myCBFS.AddNetworkMountingPoint(;my_network;myShareFolder; ,true, CbFsNetworkSymLinkFlags.nsmAllowMapAsDrive);
Above call creates myShareFolder folder in my_network and
I’m able to access above created share folder using network path like
\\my_network\myShareFolder - No permission error, works fine.

Scenario 2: Standard windows Permission Error

myCBFS.AddNetworkMountingPoint(;my_network;my_Share_Folder1; ,true, CbFsNetworkSymLinkFlags.nsmAllowMapAsDrive);

Above call creates my_Share_Folder1 folder in my_network and I’m not able to access above created share folder
\\my_network\myShareFolder - Windows standard permission error.

Suspicion:
If you observe closely I have share folder name difference in later one (have underscore (_) and numeric).

Now question,
Will CBFS supports underscore (_) and numeric in share folder?
Hope you understood above problem
Posted: 11/05/2014 05:06:31

Let's check if I understood the problem correctly --

1) if you run the program and create one mounting point without any underscores in its name, then the path is accessible.

2) if you restart the program and computer, then create one mounting point with an underscore in the share name, the path is not accessible due to Access Denied error.

Is this correct? In other words, only presence of the underscore character in the share name causes the issue, right?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/05/2014 05:11:48

Hi,

Is this correct? In other words, only presence of the underscore character in the share name causes the issue, right?

Share name contains both underscore and numeric (my_Share_Folder1). As of now i'm sure is it because of both or anyone.

Could you please confirm asap.
Posted: 11/05/2014 05:16:45

Unfortunately (I told this to you several times) we can't support version 2.5, as we have version 5 now. We will check the issue on version 5, but there's no (and will be no) solution for version 2.5 because we don't patch versions prior to the latest.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/05/2014 05:34:21

Hi,

Yes i understood clearly you won't support for version 2.5 and i also understood 5.1 is the latest version.

I tried using 5.1, faced so many build errors because you people removed or made obsolete so many API methods.

Discussions are on for using latest version. Its not easy to switch to latest version all of sudden.

Many Thanks for your assistance.
Posted: 11/05/2014 05:38:04

Well, we try to keep the number of changes minimal with each version, but for 3 versions (3, 4, 5) their number is significant. Let me add to the arguments for upgrading that Windows 8 and 8.1 require special support which has been added to versions 4 and 5 respectively. I.e. old version won't behave well in newer Windows versions and over time those issues will become more and more important.

Also we don't plan any breaking changes in version 6 which will be released together with Windows 10. We'll be just adding new features to CBFS 6.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/05/2014 05:53:51

Hi,
Highly appreciated, If possible could you please update me on this comment.

Share name contains both underscore and numeric (my_Share_Folder1). As of now i'm sure is it because of both or anyone.

Could you please confirm asap.
Posted: 11/05/2014 09:28:53
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hi,

I have checked the mounting point ";my_network;my_Share_Folder1" and it works correctly with the CBFS version 5. I.e. after its creation the path "\\my_network\my_Share_Folder1" is accessible.
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3934 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!