EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Problem with office files opened read-only

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 11/03/2014 14:54:32
by Christian Guntsche (Basic support level)

Dear all,

we are using Callback File System together with Solid File System for a Dropbox like client.
What we are facing is that sporadically office files are opened as read only and we have problems finding the root cause for that. We were testing with Office 2010 (Powerpoint and Word) on Windows 7.

What my devs are telling me (I'm the product manager) is that they found two issues:
1. The temporary office file (~$xxxx) is not created at all when opening the file or
2. Sometimes the request from "OnCanFileDeleted" is positive, but it shouldn't and the temporary file is deleted, leaving the office file as read only.

I wanted to clarify on this way (before opening a ticket), if anyone has come across such issues and can tell us directly whether this issue is related to our code or could also be related to CBFS.

Any recommendation on how to analyze the problem further is also welcome. We're stuck here at the moment.

Thanks and kind regards
Posted: 11/04/2014 00:45:01
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Let the developer try to reproduce the problem with the CBFS Mapper sample. If it isn't reproducible then let him/her check the difference in behavior of your CBFS implementation and the Mapper sample. There is the utility Process Monitor from sysinternals.com which logs I/O operations on the file system level. As a variant use it to see such differences. In order to minimize log records set in Process Monitor some filter rules like "Path"->"begins with"->"X:" (where "X:" is a drive letter for your CBFS virtual disk).
Posted: 11/04/2014 10:37:18
by Christian Guntsche (Basic support level)

Thanks for the fast reply, Volodymir.
I'm forwarding this information and we try to analyze the issue further.

Topic viewed 1348 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!