EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

GetOriginatorProcessName() problem with device path

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 09/25/2014 14:49:52
by Todd Gleason (Standard support level)

I'm trying to use GetOriginatorProcessName() and seeing paths like this:

C:\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files (x86)\...

Is this the correct behavior? It appears to be a combination of drive letter ("C:"), device path ("\Device\HarddiskVolume2"), and file path, rather than just the straight-up file path I expected.

To untangle this it looks like I need to read the drive letter, get its device path with a P/Invoke call to QueryDosDevice(), and remove that from the returned path (if it is indeed present, not sure if it is all the time). It just seems strange because I don't know that I've seen this combination of paths before (I've seen device paths + file paths, but not with the drive letter.), which made me wonder if this was the intended behavior.
Posted: 09/25/2014 16:08:54

OK, that was a mistake; the C: got pre-pended when .NET threw a DirectoryNotFoundException. It's just a pure device path, which makes more sense (though it's more painful to deal with).
Posted: 09/26/2014 07:30:29
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

GetOriginatorProcessName() returns name in the Windows native format. As a variant we can add to the next build an auxiliary API which will convert win32 path to the NT-format (actually such method exists internally in CBFS).
Posted: 10/09/2014 09:50:10

This doesn't matter much to me as we just leveraged some code from another project to do this. It's a little tricky because we don't want to impede performance, while at the same time supporting real drives, drive mappings (involving LanmanRedirector), and UNC paths (involving Mup or LanmanRedirector). Thankfully we had to solve this years ago for a different project and ended up using a prefix tree (trie) to do such matches and conversions efficiently.

I expect others would be very interested in such an API, though. If you add it, please reference it from the GetOriginatorProcessName() docs and explain what GetOriginatorProcessName() does because it probably won't be clear to developers who have never heard of device paths.

Topic viewed 1146 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!