EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Networking mounting point shows as "disconnected"

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 08/26/2014 11:51:51
by Stefan Niemann (Standard support level)

Hi,

on one of our machines the network mounting point shows as „disconnected“ in Windows Explorer and has the red X. However, the virtual file system is running fine and can be accessed without problem.

The machine with this Explorer behaviour is running Windows Server 2012 R2 and we’re using CBFS 5.1.148. We do not encounter this on any other machine, even not on other Windows Server 2012 R2 machines.

Because I found a similar problem in the change list (v.4.0.129) I'd like to ask if you can give me an advice on this.

Thanks
Stefan
Posted: 08/26/2014 11:58:02
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You need to install NetRdr module (i.e. include a flag for this module in a call to Install() method) and ensure that it's installed and not blocked in Explorer.

Shell extension DLLs can be disabled in Explorer and if this happens you will experience the behavior like described.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2014 10:15:08
by Stefan Niemann (Standard support level)

Indeed, cbfsNetRdr5.dll was not loaded into Explorer although it reports to be installed correctly. By using „autoruns“ I observed that changing the registry key

"ProviderOrder"="RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient"

into

"ProviderOrder"="cbfs5,RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient"

under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder

solves the issue immediately (I also added „cbfs5“ to the „Order“ key). So in general the extension seems not to be blocked by Explorer. Also „cbfs5“ seems not to be added to the keys by the installation process of the DLL. Which step normally takes care about these registry entries?

Best regards
Stefan
Posted: 08/27/2014 10:34:37
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Of course CBFS adds itself to this registry key. But for some reason it was failed on your machine. The most probable reason is because of the security attributes. Perhaps someone changed them for that key.
Could you run "eventvwr.msc", save the contents of the Windows journal folder "System" in the native format (by right clicking on them and choose "Save log file as..."), and give it to us?

Thanks.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1437 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!