EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

A few questions

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 05/24/2014 00:04:47
by Rob Seder (Basic support level)

I'm currently evaluating the CBFS product using C#. I've a few questions to start:

When using CallbackFileSystem.GetModuleStatus(..) to get the version of the currently-installed drivers, the high-order/low-order numbers don't make sense to me. If you give a developer access to the bytes to apply their endian-ness, then you give them a byte array.

How do I convert these two unsigned ints into a meaningful version number?

Next, for the .Install, etc - when the "ProductName" is referenced as a GUID "713CC6CE-B3E2-4fd9-838D-E28F558F6866" like in the sample, is this the ELDOS product or MY product Guid?

Thanks!
Posted: 05/24/2014 01:14:10
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

robseder wrote:
How do I convert these two unsigned ints into a meaningful version number?

Please see this forum topic: https://www.eldos.com/forum/read.php?F...ssage17624

robseder wrote:
Next, for the .Install, etc - when the "ProductName" is referenced as a GUID "713CC6CE-B3E2-4fd9-838D-E28F558F6866" like in the sample, is this the ELDOS product or MY product Guid?

If it were ours, why would the component ask for it? :) As the help says, this parameter is used to distinguish installations made by different programs. It identifies your program. You set it to whatever you want and some unique GUID is a good candidate to be used as a value.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/24/2014 02:40:40

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Please see this forum topic: https://www.eldos.com/forum/read.php?F...ssage17624

We've added the sample from that topic to the documentation.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/24/2014 16:18:57

Eugene Mayevski, I'm not really getting your "joke". When you say "used to distinguish installations made by different programs" - I don't understand what this means. Isn't an installation of kernel drivers made to at the computer-level, not the a program-level? Bottom line, just always feed this a unique GUID then?

Also, your links just link to the main forum page. Do you have a specific topic you were trying to reference? Perhaps include the title of it and I can look it up.

Lastly, I'm lifting-and-loading code from the sample and I'm getting a "Handle is not initialized." whenever I go to set file attributes or save the contents of a file. I've spent several hours trying to see where this is coming from, but I can't seem to figure this out. Any ideas on this?
Posted: 05/25/2014 02:12:13

robseder wrote:
I don't understand what this means. Isn't an installation of kernel drivers made to at the computer-level, not the a program-level?

When two applications install the same driver, then one of them uninstalls the driver, what would happen? In the straightforward case the other application will stop working due to the missing driver.

ProgramName is used as a sophisticated form of a reference counter.

robseder wrote:
Bottom line, just always feed this a unique GUID then?

Pass whatever you like, just ensure it's unique. GUID is a good choice.

robseder wrote:
Also, your links just link to the main forum page. Do you have a specific topic you were trying to reference?

The provided link takes you right to the messages of the forum topic that you need, not to the forum. It might be your web browser that breaks the links in some way (or you clicked the link from the e-mail where it was broken).

robseder wrote:
Lastly, I'm lifting-and-loading code from the sample and I'm getting a "Handle is not initialized." whenever I go to set file attributes or save the contents of a file.

Does the problem happen with the sample itself or just with your code? If it's just your code, then it's almost impossible to guess what might be wrong without a test case that can be run under debugger.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/25/2014 09:37:06

Thanks anyway.
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 1619 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!