EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Disk doesn't appear like a "local disk"

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 01/30/2014 09:05:16
by Richard Hauer (Basic support level)

I can mark a partition as Active even if it doesn't contain boot information. It just means the disk is valid for booting, however I think that the GPT (GUID Partition Table) format is what's stopping it. Not sure if it can be specified as an MBR disk at your level or not.

Not sure about the per-sector stuff, you could be right though I'm not sure why File History/Backup would do that, maybe BitLocker would. Maybe it's an optimisation of some kind and the system knows the "disk" can't do that.

I did specify the file system as "NTFS" but that hasn't helped.

I might abandon this line of thought unless there is a way to set it into MBR instead of GPT and try again.

I have another issue, will start a new thread.
Posted: 01/30/2014 09:23:51
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Richard Hauer wrote:
I might abandon this line of thought unless there is a way to set it into MBR instead of GPT and try again.

Changing from GPT to MBR will not help. Often backup utilities (even if they backup files not disk sectors) work on a "disk basis". I.e they track of changes in disk sectors and save copy of the original sectors. Then when previous file data is requested they create a shadow volume copy and take there the previous file data. For example see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

In any case CBFS, as it is now, can't work with the most of backup services. With those ones that work on a "disk basis" (with disk I/O).
Posted: 01/30/2014 09:24:33

Final edit.

Setting the FileSystemName = "FAT32" and available space to 1TB removed GPT from the partition, it now reports as MBR.

Setting the partition as Active in DISKPART predictably reports an error, as I assume it's trying to set a specific sector and as @Vladimir suggested that isn't possible.
Posted: 01/30/2014 09:25:59

Thanks @Vladimir. Agreed.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3162 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!