EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Disk doesn't appear like a "local disk"

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 01/30/2014 07:57:38
by Richard Hauer (Basic support level)

I am constructing a new CallbackFileSystem object with the following settings:

• StorageCharacteristics = 0
  • StorageType = 0
  • FileSystemName = "NTFS"

My disk appears in Explorer and operates as expected, however it does not appear in "Disk Management", cannot be used as a drive for "File History", and cannot be used as a storage target for a Windows Backup System Image (in Windows 8, Control Panel -> Windows 7 File Recovery -> Create a System Image).

Any ideas why that might be?

**EDIT**
I had the free disk space set very high (over 100TB), setting it to < 2TB makes the drive appear in "Disk Management" utility now. It is still not considered as "valid" for File History (not available for selection) or System Image Backup (available for selection as "unnamed drive" but then a warning is displayed saying it is not valid for selection).
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:08:31
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

For the disk to be present in Disk MAnagement you need to install the drivers in PnP mode and then set StorageType to stDiskPNP.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:20:55

It seems I changed too many things, and you're quite right, stDiskPNP does make the disk appear in Disk Management (though it is still reporting 1800GB and not 150TB).

The other problems remain though - also discovered it cannot be used with BitLocker (this may require hardware support?)
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:29:35

File History looks like it can only be assigned to an "Active" partition. My CBFS partition reports as "Primary" but not "Active".

I suspect BitLocker has the same issue.

Backup is still a mystery (and still reports as "Unnamed drive" even though the drive letter and label appear everywhere else).
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:38:43

I think those features require that the filesystem handles certain specific IRPs which are not documented and thus can not be implemented. I.e. there are many NTFS-specific things which won't work with CBFS no matter how you name the filesystem.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:39:22

For BitLocker you might need to set unique GUID for the disk. Maybe that's what it is looking for (and not a label).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:44:04

I have a unique GUID set - it shows the drive letter and label for other partitions marked as "Active" - only the CBFS one is missing this designation.

Is there a way to get CBFS to report the partition as Primary _and_ Active?
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:49:04

"Active" can only be used on fixed MBR disks (according to DISKPART).
My disk is reporting GPT (presumably because of the size).

I will try to reduce it to 1TB and see what DISKPART thinks.
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:51:28

Nope - reports as GPT even with 1TB
Posted: 01/30/2014 08:54:35
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Richard Hauer wrote:
though it is still reporting 1800GB and not 150TB

What version of CBFS are you using? In the version 5 it should show correct size.

Richard Hauer wrote:
My CBFS partition reports as "Primary" but not "Active".

It seems "Active" means that the partition is bootable. I.e. contains a boot loader for an OS and can be used by machine's BIOS/UEFI to boot OS. But CBFS disks are virtual. They can't exist at the pre-boot phase and therefore can't be "active".

Richard Hauer wrote:
Backup is still a mystery (and still reports as "Unnamed drive" even though the drive letter and label appear everywhere else).

CBFS doesn't support "per-sector" read/write (i.e. disk I/O). It supports only file operations. There is no physical disk at all associated with CBFS. Although it's possible to make callbacks for disk I/O (actually as another our product CallbackDisk has), but I don't assure it helps. Because the backup utility can take information from the disk driver stack (i.e. it has a storage filter driver there, which is located deeper in the system than the CBFS components) or it can use the file system specific information (i.e. perhaps it can work with only known file system formats like NTFS, FATFS, CDFS).
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3160 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!