EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Showing a drive as "disconnected"

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 01/10/2014 23:29:52
by Richard Hauer (Basic support level)

I would like to mount a drive, but display it as "not ready", something equivalent to a disconnected mapped network drive.

Is there something in the API that allows me to tell Windows that the disk is not "connected"? Maybe something that can be returned from one of the callbacks?

Thanks.
Posted: 01/11/2014 01:39:19
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Install NetRdr module when installing the driver. It will handle the display in Explorer.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/13/2014 01:02:35

Thanks Eugene.

I did that. The drive displays just fine.

I am connecting the drive to another remote resource, that may (or may not) be available at the time the drive is created, or at some point in the middle.

What I would like is for the drive to show as "disconnected" in a similar way to the way that a mapped network share might display as "disconnected" if you disable your network card.

Does that make sense?
Posted: 01/13/2014 01:07:02
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I am sorry, I have misread your question :(.

I think that the proper way would be to have the DLL I mentioned request the status of the drive from the driver. This is not done right now, but maybe we can do this in future.

Are you "removing the disk" (by calling UnmountMedia method) when the remote service is not connected? If you do, then I think we can teach the DLL to check the status. In any case, the proper way to inform the OS that the disk is not available is call UnmountMedia().

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/13/2014 01:12:21

I could do that, though at present I am not.

I still want the icon and the volume name to display, just "greyed out" in a similar fashion to a disconnected mapped drive.

This would allow the user to see that they have a drive configured correctly, but that the remote end is not available for whatever reason.
Posted: 01/13/2014 01:33:58
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

We will check today what it's possible to do with it and then I will write here about this.
Posted: 01/13/2014 10:27:11
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately it turned out that this network redirector feature isn't documented at all. Of course theoretically it's possible to implement and perhaps we will make it. But there is no definite term for it.
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 882 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!