EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

constant BSOD in cbfs4.sys

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 01/09/2014 12:45:27
by JIm Hribnak (Basic support level)

How can I tell what program is using cbfs4.sys I get daily crashes and a program called whocrashed is telling me cbfs4.sys

I really need to get this fixed as I do 3d graphic rendering while I am asleep and the system crashes

I am running windows 8.1

Posted: 01/09/2014 12:53:04
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to determine what application has installed the driver. But let's figure out what's happening.

Any driver works when some other system component interacts with the driver. CBFS is used to create virtual disks. So you need to check, if any application creates virtual disks in your system, and also check what exactly causes the crash, i.e. what system activities are performed in the system at the time when the crash occurs. This can be some scheduled backup or similar activity.

On a side note, if you could capture the crash dump ( here's the detailed description of how to get the crash dump ), we would be able to locate the source of the problem. If the issue has been already fixed within CBFS 4, we would probably be able to craft a driver updater for you.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/09/2014 12:56:13
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Just a note: forum doesn't let you post anything but text files (this is for a reason). If you can provide the crash dump, please let us know here and we will give you instructions of how to act.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/17/2014 09:01:52
by Victor Del Benno (Basic support level)

Hi Eugene

Perhaps I can be of assistance, because i get BSoD witch direct too to this file. Unfortunately I cannot paste the contents of the file. The minidump just gives djibbirisch and unpastable symbols, the memory dump is too big to open. I posted them on my personal website if you would be interested:

You gave me some clue's. My possible fauly app's: TrueCrypt or CryptoBox (these app creates virtual drives). I was running a game from TC, so probably the first. Aldo I'm shure it became corrrupted because of previous BSoD witch first directed to VGA, replaced the hardware, now directing to memory :/. Could not believe it until pc didn't boot till i removed some RAM and it booted again. Is my pc a ticking bomb failing all hardware at the same time, or are BSoD a master piece of keeping people bussy? ;-)
Posted: 12/18/2014 03:36:46
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

There is a problem to download the dumps. The server for the first link asks for login and password and reports "file not found" for the second one.
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Topic viewed 3253 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!