EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Disconnected Network drive Windows 8.1

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 10/22/2013 10:01:34
by Steven Crouchman (Standard support level)

We've been using CBFS3 under Windows 8 mounting a network drive which has been working fine, however running the app on 8.1 shows it as a disconnected network drive.
Is this something that has been fixed in CBFS4 or 5? And if so is the fix in the network redirector module that we could easily back port?
Posted: 10/22/2013 10:06:16
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, IIRC there were some updates made. They are not fixes, as Windows 8 and 8.1 break some things and we needed to write additional code for their support. So it's time to upgrade.

You have a license for version 5 and you will find your new license keys and downloads in My Control Center. Source code will be available upon release though.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/06/2014 11:40:41

I've updated to CBFS5 however the problem still remains. In fact after the update a windows 8 (not 8.1) that was not exhibiting the problem is now also showing as a disconnected network drive.
I am installing everything using the helper dlls included the network redirector. What more can I do to diagnose this?
Posted: 01/06/2014 11:44:02
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Please use GetModuleStatus() method to check that the DLL is installed. If GetModuleStatus() returns positive result, you will need to take Process Explorer from sysinternals and use it to see, what DLLs are actually loaded to Explorer process (search by name in Process Explorer). CbFsNetRdr5.dll should be among the loaded DLLs.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/07/2014 02:52:23
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Also the problem can be because your application that calls AddMountingPoint is run elevated (i.e. "run as administrator"). In this case the mounting point is created in the special separated session (for elevated programs) and Explorer doesn't show it correctly. In order to correct it either run the app non-elevated or pass a non-null value as the AuthenticationId parameter to the AddMountingPoint call.
Posted: 01/07/2014 04:39:10

Looks like an issue when updating our installer and the network redirector was getting missed. This all appears to work now and does fix the issue with 8.1 we were seeing
Posted: 01/08/2014 09:58:35

Turns out this wasn't an issue with CbFs at all so putting the info here in case anyone else hits this problem.

During the update from Windows 8 to 8.1, a registry key gets replaced which stops the network redirector from being loaded. The fix (other than reinstalling the dll) is to update:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order and edit ProviderOrder to include the correct version of cbfs at the front.
Eg. Change it from:
RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient
to:
CbFs3,RDPNP,LanmanWorkstation,webclient
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4524 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!