EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

A question about the caches

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 10/10/2013 11:41:00
by Simon Coghlan (Standard support level)

I have read what I can about the caches implemented in CBFS V 4.
I want to implement a service that will be supply a FileSystem to many users.
Some users will have restricted visibility of certain files, which means that if the NonexistentFilesCacheEnabled is set to true, then will each user of the service be given a different cache ?
Or will it be global to the service?
Does this apply to all the cache / metadata storages with CBFS ?
Posted: 10/10/2013 11:48:29
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

In Windows the filesystem is expected to present the same disk data to all users and processes. This means that you can not expose the same drive to all users and provide different file sets (or file contents) to different users. The right approaches are:
1) prevent users from accessing the file or folder if open/read request comes from certain user.
2) create different virtual drives (using different instances of Callback File System) for different users.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/11/2013 03:51:43
by Simon Coghlan (Standard support level)

1) Okay, but then that raises issues with the CbFsHandleInfo usage I have mentioned when a the ...OpenAll... is set to false.
2) Not easily possible if the access is required over a share, and the resource is managed by a service that requires no logon for the OS to be operating (e.g. WHS style)

Statistics

Topic viewed 536 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!