EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CBFS4Net.dll installation as part of VS2010 Setup Project

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 06/14/2013 10:42:02
by Eric Simmerman (Standard support level)

Per the CBFS deployment instructions <https://www.eldos.com/documentation/cbfs/ref_gen_redist.html> I'm attempting to create a VS2010 Setup Project that will properly install all three needed DLLs: (CBFS4Net.dll, msvcm100.dl, msvcr100.dll)

I've tried two configurations (screenshot of #2 attached):
1) placed those three dlls under the targeted "Application Folder"
2) placed CBFS4Net under Global Assembly Cache Folder & the other two under "System Folder"

In both configuration cases the resulting Setup program runs fine and installs my binaries. But the three needed DLLs are not installed and/or not available at runtime - which of course causes my program to crash.

I understand this is likely a VS2010 Setup Project issues and perhaps not related to CBFS but I'm hoping I'm missing something simple that someone on these forums has encountered & solved before.

Posted: 06/14/2013 11:03:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Try installing all three files to the same folder where the EXE of your application goes. This should work.

Also please note that there are different sets of files needed for x86 and x64 systems (i.e. 32 bit and 64 bit systems). You would need to install one of them depending on what bitness the target system has.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/14/2013 12:38:49

Thanks Eugene - when I manually install the three files in the application folder (beside my EXE) then it does resolve the crashing issue. However I am unable to create a Setup Program that will install the three files automatically - as part of the process performed when my end-users run my program's setup.exe.

It seems this should be a very simple configuration task in VS2010. I've attached a screenshot of what I believe should work - but unfortunately it does not. When I build & execute the shown Setup Project, none of the CBFS DLLs are installed to my program's application folder (strangely the Newtonsoft.JSON.dll is installed as expected) even though the VS2010 Setup Project seems to indicate they will be. I'm certain other CBFS users must have solved this issue - but I'm unclear on what I've configured incorrectly.
Posted: 06/14/2013 12:51:31
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately I can't comment as the situation is really strange but we don't have experience with setup tools. Can it be that setup tool tries to automatically determine bitness of the DLL and doesn't install the file cause it finds the bitness to be "wrong" (for setup)?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/14/2013 14:00:52

Agree - this was really strange behavior. In case anyone else encounters it - I've resolved the issue by deleting the entire setup project. I then added a new setup project using the setup wizard and added the CBFS DLLs on the third step where the wizard prompts for "additional files". The end result looks the exact same as my last screenshot here - but the resulting setup.exe actually works now. No clue which part of that process "fixed" the issue - clearly VS2010 setup projects are a bit fluky - at last on my system.
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Topic viewed 1172 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!