EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Win8: Unable to copy file off mounted drive

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 06/06/2013 03:21:35
by Theodor Kleynhans (Basic support level)

Using CbFS I'm able to mount a drive that gets the file listings and contents dynamically from our custom storage solution.
I can open a file in e.g. Notepad just fine, but when I try to copy the file and paste it onto the local disk somewhere (e.g. Documents folder), Windows 8 pops up a dialog with the title "1 Interrupted Action" and the message "Can't read from the source file or disk". If offers retry/skip/cancel options, but retrying doesn't help. The weird thing is that it works just fine on Windows 7.
We've tried disabling the realtime protection of the built-in Windows Defender, but it didn't help.
I see that the OnGetFileSecurity callback method gets called in both cases (opening and copying), but we don't currently return any information from that call. In the copy instance the sequence of events is "OnOpenFile, OnGetFileSecurity, OnCloseFile, <error dialog>", but when opening the file directly the same callback sequence is followed by more callbacks and the file content is read just fine.
Must we return something in OnGetFileSecurity? If so, what?

Posted: 06/06/2013 03:51:34
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Theodor,

Is the problem reproducible with the Mapper sample?
Posted: 06/06/2013 03:52:53
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Also please specify whether 32 or 64-bit version of Windows you are using. And the type of CallbackFS API (C++, .NET, Delphi, or Java).
Posted: 06/06/2013 06:20:51
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

If you don't use OnGetSecurity, don't set an event handler. Then CBFS won't tell the OS that security is supported.

Please try removing the event handler first and tell us whether this helps.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/07/2013 04:24:05
by Theodor Kleynhans (Basic support level)

Thanks for the quick help guys! Removing the event handlers fixed the problem.
FYI: Testing on Windows 8 64-bit using .Net 4.
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Topic viewed 1955 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!