EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Network Mounting Point issue

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 05/29/2013 02:21:05
by Stanisław Jankowski (Priority Standard support level)

Hello!

After migration to CBFS 4.0 I have issue related to AddMountingPoint procedure.
When I use:
Code
AddMountingPoint(mountPoint)

then everything is ok.

But using Network Mounting Point:
Code
AddMountingPoint(pointName, CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK | CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK_ALLOW_MAP_AS_DRIVE, null);

causes two problems.

First is the fact, that after mouting storage, I have to manually refresh Windows Explorer window to see newly created/deleted files and directories. And this unwanted behaviour appears on ALL disks, not only with CBFS volumes.

The second thing is that after creating Network Mounting Point I can not turn the Windows off. It hangs on logout screen.

I am using Windows 7 x64 with all updates applied.

Could you tell me how to fix this issue? I need Network Mounting Point, because my application is a network file system.

Regards,
Stanisław Jankowski
Posted: 05/29/2013 02:31:08
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Stanisław,

Is the problem reproducible with the Mapper sample?

And please specify the content of the pointName parameter.

Thanks.
Posted: 05/29/2013 02:49:24

Yes it is also reproducible with Mapper sample. The only change I made is in mounting point definition:

Code
mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(edtMountinPoint.Text);

TO:
Code
string pointName = @"f:;127.0.0.1;CBFS";
mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(pointName, CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK | CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK_ALLOW_MAP_AS_DRIVE, null);

Staszek
Posted: 05/29/2013 03:11:44

Try to use
string pointName = @"f:;;CBFS";
or anything except "127.0.0.1". For example "qwerty".

Actually the CallbackFS network redirector doesn't work with IP addresses. It doesn't know anything about IP. But maybe it somehow conflicts with other redirectors in the system. Although theoretically it shouldn't.

Try also to add the CBFS_SYMLINK_LOCAL flag. It causes to create the "local" type of mounting point, which is visible only for the current logon session. Such behavior will be similar to the "usual" network mounting points (which Windows creates itself).
Posted: 05/29/2013 03:18:28

Stanisław Jankowski wrote:
I need Network Mounting Point, because my application is a network file system.

BTW you can use any type of mounting points. The main reason to prefer network mounting points is that at least Explorer in this case minimizes requests to the file system. For example it minimizes requests to read thumbnails for files. Also network mounting points allow to use UNC path to access the virtual disk.
Posted: 06/04/2013 03:36:25

I made a couple of tests to be 100% sure what is working wrong and how to reproduce the issue. There was one thing I forgotten in last post:

Steps to reproduce with Mapper example:

1. In btnCreateStorage_Click add:
Code
mCbFs.StorageType = CbFsStorageType.stDiskPnP;

2. In btnAddPoint_Click use:
Code
string pointName = @"f:;qwerty;CBFS";
                mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(pointName, CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK | CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK_ALLOW_MAP_AS_DRIVE, null);

3. Mount the storage.
4. Enter to the storage via Windows file browser
5. try to create a folder i.e. on Desktop

Results:
1. Folder is visible only after refreshing the view.
2. Unmount button click causes: "permission denied" errror.
3. Windows hangs on logout screen.

I suppose that CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_NETWORK parameter is conflicting with CbFsStorageType.stDiskPnP.

Advices you gave me above unfortunately do not help.

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
The main reason to prefer network mounting points is that at least Explorer in this case minimizes requests to the file system.

It is exactly the reason why I prefer network mounting point :)

Regards,
Staszek
Posted: 06/04/2013 04:57:38

Moved to HelpDesk.
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1486 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!