EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Drive is not visible in Disk Management

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 04/17/2013 04:39:41
by Kenny Kim (Standard support level)

Good evening.

In CBFS 4 I am not being able to mount a disk which is visible in Disk Management.

In CBFS 3 I mount a disk as shown below:

Code
mCbFs.StorageType = CbFsStorageType.stDiskPnP;
mCbFs.StorageCharacteristics = 0;
mCbFs.CreateStorage();
mCbFs.MountMedia(0);
mCbFs.SetFileSystemName("NTFS");
mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(edtMountinPoint.Text , CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER, null);

This disk is visible in Disk Management, and applications "think" that this is a real physical hard drive (we have some applications, like DRM, which require a real physical disk to work with).

If I set StorageType to PnP and StorageCahracteristics to 0:
Code
mCbFs.StorageType = CbFsStorageType.stDiskPnP;
mcbFs.StorageCharacteristics = 0;

then, Mapper is throwing this error:
"An internal error occured".

How can I create a disk with same characeristics as in CBFS3 in CBFS 4?

CBFS Ver.: 4.0.132.10
API: .NET 4.0

Thank you.
Posted: 04/17/2013 06:02:14
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

It must work in the same way as in the version 3.

Check whether the driver is installed with PnP support (there is a parameter for it in the Install method). Maybe run the installer again with PnP support enabled and try to reproduce the problem again.

Also please run the "Event Viewer" system application "eventvwr.msc", save contents of the windows journal folders "Applications" and "System" in the native format (by right clicking on them and choose "Save log file as..."), and send it to me.

Thanks.
Posted: 04/17/2013 06:44:16
by Kenny Kim (Standard support level)

Driver is installed with PnP support:
Code
CallbackFileSystem.Install( dlgOpenDrv.FileName,
                                                mGuid,
                                                System.Environment.SystemDirectory,
                                                true,
                                                CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_MODULE_NET_REDIRECTOR_DLL |
                                                CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_MODULE_MOUNT_NOTIFIER_DLL,
                                                ref Reboot );

Reinstalled, but it did not help.

I have sent Event Viewer Logs to your email (got it from forum).

Thank you.
Posted: 04/17/2013 08:44:27

Moved to HelpDesk.
Posted: 07/02/2013 09:23:44
by Ivan P (Priority Standard support level)

Hi there,

It seems that CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER doesn't work when StorageType is set to stDisk. The drive is mounted but never appears in the Disk Manager.
However it works when I change disk type to stDiskPnP.

Is that OK?

Sincerely,
IP
Posted: 07/02/2013 09:32:12

CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER must work when StorageType is set to stDisk, but in the case stDiskPnP is not set the storage won't be visible in the Disk Management console.
Posted: 07/02/2013 10:15:48

However I'm able to reproduce it with the Mapper sample and the results are following:

1. When storage type is set to stDisk (default) and btn_AddPointClick is modified as following:
Code
//mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(edtMountinPoint.Text);
mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(edtMountinPoint.Text, CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER, null);

The drive doesn't appear in Disk Manager.

2. When storage type is set to stDiskPnP, it's always visible in Disk Manager.
It doesn't matter if I set flags to CBFS_SYMLINK_SIMPLE or CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER

Code
// Even with CBFS_SYMLINK_SIMPLE the disk is visible in Windows Disk Manager
//mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(edtMountinPoint.Text, CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER, null);
mCbFs.AddMountingPoint(edtMountinPoint.Text, CallbackFileSystem.CBFS_SYMLINK_SIMPLE, null);
Posted: 07/02/2013 10:24:05
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

That is correct behavior - as Vladimir mentioned if you don't set stDiskPnP, you won't see the disk in Disk Manager.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/02/2013 10:41:15

Ahhh, I just misinterpret the phrase "CBFS_SYMLINK_MOUNT_MANAGER must work when StorageType is set to stDisk". So "work" means that it will not fail, bu not that it will be visible in Disk Manager.

Thanks.
Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages

Statistics

Topic viewed 2377 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!