EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

BSOD caused by cbfs3.sys

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 04/10/2013 09:57:41
by Neville  (Basic support level)

Yesterday my PC crashed and rebooted (BSOD) with the cause being cbfs3.sys.

Please see attached screenshot of analysis in BlueScreenView.

The particular error message, "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" is familiar because several drivers from different manufacturers and software vendors have been affected by this lately and there have been several related news stories lately.

The cause might be a patch recently released by Microsoft as a prerequisite that gets installed automatically with IE 10.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2670838

The product I'm using CBFS with is Wuala. They're still using an old version of CBFS bundled with their software. But maybe you want to check whether even your new versions of CBFS are affected by this, and whether they are also susceptible to the BSOD.

Posted: 04/10/2013 12:24:07
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for the report. Unfortunately the image you specified doesn't contain enough information to find out the reason of the problem. If it's possible please send me a crash dump. Its location is specified in the screenshot attached by you.
Thanks.
Posted: 04/10/2013 13:04:55

Hi, you can download the mini dump from here:
https://www.strongspace.com/shared/92zngxstsw
Posted: 04/10/2013 13:06:41
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

BTW as far as I know there was a never version of Wuala with CBFS 4.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/10/2013 13:18:28

Eugene, the most recent version they have bundled with the Wuala client application is v3.2.107.0.

Sometimes they make newer versions (for testing purposes only, and not officially supported) available for download at:

http://cdn.wuala.com/files/?C=M;O=D

But I see that even there they've only got v3.2.107.0 as the latest version.
Posted: 04/10/2013 13:31:20

You should contact Wuala vendor - the latest version of CBFS 3 is 3.2.122 if memory serves and there were many improvements made between builds. However, we can't simply give one an updated drivers, cause the user-mode part must be updated as well in many cases (some issues need to be addressed in both the driver and in user-mode part).

So Wuala vendor should update their application and provide an update. I am 99% sure that there *was* cbfs 4-based version there as we had another user with symptoms similar to yours and that user ended up getting some fresh version of Wuala.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/10/2013 13:35:45

OK, thanks, I do understand that it is Wuala's responsibility to update their software from time to time and include a newer version of CBFS. Unfortunately they are not very good in that regard.

But I just wanted to provide this information to you directly so you can check the reason for the crash. Maybe you can find out something weird it tried to do that caused the BSOD, and which maybe still isn't fixed, even in current versions.
Posted: 04/10/2013 13:37:39

Yes, and we are very thankful for this - the dump will be analyzed probably tomorrow (as it's evening in Europe now).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/11/2013 02:37:35
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

I have examined the dump. The BSOD was caused in the aswSnx.sys driver (AVAST Software). There is a probability that the real reason because of interaction between that driver and the CallbackFS driver, but the minidump doesn't contain enough information to determine it.
Also the cbfs3.sys driver on your machine is about 1 year old. So it's better to update the Wuala software and maybe AVAST Software too (although the driver there is dated March 7 2013).
Posted: 04/11/2013 03:13:30

Thanks for looking into this Vladimir.

I'm already using the latest version of Avast Antivirus and the latest version of Wuala. All I can do is hope that at some point Wuala will decide to update the version of CBFS that they distribute with their software.
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4246 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!