EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Error occured during attempting to execute file

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 04/09/2013 09:10:12
by Alexey Korotkov (Standard support level)

I used the code from Mapper solution under Windows 8 with UAC, then started Mapper.exe and mounted storage. After that I copied executable file which requires administrator privileges for executing to mounted drive.

I tried to execute it (double click) and after UAC prompt I received the error message "... The specified path does not exist. Check the path, and try again." Could you explain why I received such error and how I could handle this problem (in the code maybe)?
Posted: 04/09/2013 09:13:54
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

This will happen if you set the filesystem name to something other than FAT, FAT32 or NTFS. Security measures, I guess.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/09/2013 09:23:02

This also occurs if I set filesystem name to FAT32/NTFS.
Posted: 04/09/2013 09:25:19
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Another problem can be in the "local" type of mounting points. Such mounting points are visible only in one specified session. So when a program is executed as elevated the "administrative" session is used and the virtual disk isn't accessible because the mounting point isn't visible from that session.

Find in your code the AddMountingPoint call and remove there the CBFS_SYMLINK_LOCAL flag if it's specified.
Posted: 04/09/2013 09:37:57
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

It can also happen when the file is started from the disk which has Removable type. In other words, please try to change disk type and characteristics. If this doesn't help, please use Process Monitor to capture file system access logs and post the log to HelpDesk.

1. Run Process Monitor from sysinternals.com.
2. Reproduce the problem.
3. Save the Process Monitor log in the native format (which is ".pml" or so).
4. Give the log to us.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/10/2013 02:34:23

Vladimir is right. If I remove CBFS_SYMLINK_LOCAL flag the file is opening as expected. Thank you for fast answers. They helped us.
Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.

Topic viewed 898 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!