EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CBFS does not call OnGetFileInfo to get file attributes?

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 04/05/2013 03:44:44
by Andrew Solonovich (Standard support level)

We are using CBFS version 4.0.130 (with evaluation key). Disk mounted as network drive.

We have embedded context menu for explorer - it reads attributes of file to define which menu items to show.
When I press right mouse button on file in Exporer window , OnOpenFile with fileAccess = READ_ATTRIBUTES and OnCloseFile callbacks occur several times, but OnGetFileInfo does not. Yes, it was called before, but attributes of file could be already changed from another application..
Attributes of file returns only in OnEnumerateDirectory and OnGetFileInfo, so how CBFS knows which attributes to return without calling this handlers?
When we use driver dokan – GetFileInfo called in this situation.

P.S. I know about NotifyDirectoryChange, but the problem is that attributes of file can be changed from different machine, where no cbfs installed.

Any help appreciated
Posted: 04/05/2013 04:29:27
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The data is taken from the metadata cache.

If the information has been changed under the hood, you need to call NotifyDirectoryChange method to notify CBFS and the OS about the background change.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/05/2013 05:09:32
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

If only file attributes have been changed (file attributes and/or file times) then use NotifyDirectoryChange with the flag fanMetaDataModified.
Don't forget to specify the full path beginning with backslash + file name as the FileName parameter.
Posted: 04/05/2013 07:23:20
by Andrew Solonovich (Standard support level)

Thanks for quick reply!

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
The data is taken from the metadata cache

Can I clear this cache? If not, when it will be updated or how to make it updated?

I make simply program which gets attribute of file. C# code:

string filename = textBox1.Text;
FileInfo fi = new FileInfo(filename);
if (fi != null)
I changed attribute 'Compressed' to 'Normal' and back under the hood - to emulate changes made by remote user.

Due to my research - CBFS does not return correct attributes even when OnEnumerateDirectory (where handler returns new correct attributes) called - only after OnGetFileInfo attribute changes.

Refreshing Explorer with F5 causes OnEnumerateDirectory call and despite of correct attribute returning by handler - context menu gets old attribute.
Is it a bug, or I made mistake somewhere?

Attribute changes only after opening "Properties" window in Explorer which causes OnGetFileInfo call.

Thanks in advance.
Posted: 04/05/2013 08:04:59

You can clear the cache either for a separate file/directory by the use of NotifyDirectoryChange or the cache at whole (by setting sequentially the MetaDataCacheEnabled property to false and to true again).

The last method doesn't work for files/directories that are currently opened by programs. I.e. opened files still have the "old" attributes.
In the case of NotifyDirectoryChange if you specify any another than the fanMetaDataModified flag (i.e. you specify that file contents has been changed outside CallbackFS) and a file is currently opened then CallbackFS makes all handles to the file as invalid. It means that any I/O via these handles returns error immediately. Only successful operation will be closing handle (which is CloseHandle in win32 API).
In the case when the fanMetaDataModified flag is used and a file is opened its handles remains valid and only its metadata (file attributes and file size) will be re-requested when it's necessary by the use of the GetFileInfo or EnumerateDirectory callback call.
Posted: 04/05/2013 08:25:36

About the encrypted and compressed attributes. You can specify them in your OnGetFileInfo and DirectoryEnumeration callbacks and they will be visible for a file/directory. But CallbackFS doesn't support these attributes completely. For example a file with such attributes will be colored in Explorer with blue or green, but there are not ability to change these attributes via the file properties dialog in Explorer. The behavior will be the same as FAT file system has.
We are going to implement such completed support of these attributes in future.
Posted: 10/05/2015 10:18:26
by William Levra-Juillet (Priority Standard support level)

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
We are going to implement such completed support of these attributes in future.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but is there any progress on that?
We'd like to be able to use Explorer to set/clear the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED flag.

Posted: 10/05/2015 13:40:27

Unfortunately it has not been implemented yet.
Posted: 10/07/2015 10:52:50
by William Levra-Juillet (Priority Standard support level)

Thx Volodymyr,

In cbfs 6.0, and new OnFSCtl callback, is there any way to support FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED and/or FILE_FILE_COMPRESSION in FILE_FS_ATTRIBUTE_INFORMATION?
Just curious, as it might be worth switching to 6.0 for that reason.
Posted: 10/07/2015 11:27:44

As I wrote above with the present version you can use the "compressed" attribute.

But the following isn't currently possible:
We'd like to be able to use Explorer to set/clear the FILE_ATTRIBUTE_COMPRESSED flag.

Perhaps we will add it to CBFS v.6.1.
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Topic viewed 6284 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!