EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CBFS virtual disk sector data

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 04/02/2013 18:00:37
by Eaton Zveare (Standard support level)

When you open a CBFS virtual disk in a hex editor, you can see the first sector that has a "cbfs" magic and then the following sectors are all filled with 0x55'd bytes. I suspect CBFS is providing Windows with that data internally, so I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a callback to monitor when Windows wants to read/write raw sector data like this.

For users that have data sources that are actual files/disks, this could be a nice, optional feature. In my case, I could provide the raw partition data.

My suggestion would be callbacks like this:

OnReadSectorData(uint Sector, byte[] SectorData)
OnWriteSectorData(uint Sector, byte[] SectorData)

Would this be possible to implement?
Posted: 04/03/2013 00:37:05
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for this idea. Yes, it's possible to implement and we have already had it in our todo list.
But it seems nobody else has asked for this before. Is it really necessary feature for you?
Posted: 04/03/2013 09:47:24
by Eaton Zveare (Standard support level)

It would just be a convenience. Sometimes I need to manipulate the raw file system internals and being able to open the virtual disk in a hex editor would be nice.

Topic viewed 608 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!