EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Problems with AutoCAD bindings

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 02/27/2013 04:16:11
by Dmitry Shapiro (Standard support level)

I am exploring an evaluation version of CBFS for suitability for our solution. It's critical to provide possibility to work with AutoCAD bindings from virtual drive. I tried to use VDisk sample application (for C++) to create virtual drive and to create and edit AutoCAD 2013 bindings on them. There are a couple of problems with bindings.
The first problem: after creation of new sheet in new binding AutoCAD writes that the files of sheets are absent. But it's possible to open and edit them. Look at the first part of attached screenshot. After a while the sheet can be fully unavailable, but not in all cases, sometimes only.
The second problem: it's impossible to import existing drawing to the binding. When I pick to the file of the drawing, AutoCAD shows a message box which says that the removable device is not ready. Look at the second part of attached screenshot.
I'm sorry for screenshots of Russian AutoCAD. If they are not understandable, don't hesitate to ask me for English screenshots - I'll reinstall English version of AutoCAD and make new screenshots.
Perhaps, I made something wrong or samples have limited functionality. Could you give your comments about this situation, please?

Posted: 02/27/2013 04:24:04
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

VDisk is a quick sample to show how to implement purely virtual files, and it can potentially have issues with handling of complex cases (with Office, for example) as it was not polished for them. We recommend everyone to start with Mapper sample. Please re-check how Autocad behaves with Mapper sample.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/27/2013 04:52:10

Eugene, thank you for your quick reply!
Yes, Mapper works fine. But it maps real folder as removable drive. Does it matter? Or the cause of correct work of Mapper is more complex and perfect logic than in VDisk?
We need to map documents library which is stored in database as network drive to browse them with Windows Explorer or another file manager and to work with documents like they are situated on the network share. Is correct work of Mapper shows that no problems with CBFS will be in our case?
Posted: 02/27/2013 05:28:34
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Dmitry Shapiro wrote:
Mapper works fine. But it maps real folder as removable drive. Does it matter? Or the cause of correct work of Mapper is more complex and perfect logic than in VDisk?

Because Mapper is more complex and implements all required functionality.

Dmitry Shapiro wrote:
Is correct work of Mapper shows that no problems with CBFS will be in our case?

Yes. But only if you are able to implement the CallbackFS callbacks correctly. I mean that there are rare situations which require to have a "nonstandard approach". For example Windows requires during a file opening to get its file size. So some problem can be if your database doesn't specifies file size until the file completely obtained from the database (one customer reported such a problem with some FTP server).
Posted: 02/27/2013 06:09:28

Vladimir, thank you very much! Everything is clear. We'll try to utilize CBFS in our solution in the nearest future.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 946 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!