EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

High priority request: user defined volume GUID

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 08/05/2013 14:15:46
by Eaton Zveare (Standard support level)

Hi Vladimir, out of curiosity what other enhancements can we expect in v5?
Posted: 08/06/2013 01:16:39
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello Eaton,

- Support of Win8.1
- Significantly improved file data cache. It makes reading/writing of files faster (minimizes the callbacks calls by composing several read/write requests into one).
- GPT partitioning support for fixed disks. Allows to correctly show greater than 2Tb disks.
- File "valid data length" support (added an optional callback for it).
- Allows to create a virtual storage, which is "absolutely" the same to physical one. It helps to use some Windows features that only work with physical storages. Such as automatically recreating network shares on a virtual disk after the system reboot.
- Some other features on which we are still working.
Posted: 08/13/2013 12:09:28
by Brahim Bakayoko (Standard support level)

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
Hello Eaton,

- Support of Win8.1
- Significantly improved file data cache. It makes reading/writing of files faster (minimizes the callbacks calls by composing several read/write requests into one).
- GPT partitioning support for fixed disks. Allows to correctly show greater than 2Tb disks.
- File "valid data length" support (added an optional callback for it).
- Allows to create a virtual storage, which is "absolutely" the same to physical one. It helps to use some Windows features that only work with physical storages. Such as automatically recreating network shares on a virtual disk after the system reboot.
- Some other features on which we are still working.

Happy dance!
Awesome. :)

Hopefully, we are also getting an increase in the write cache buffer size.
Since the virtual storage disk must have a disk policy of removal, it does not take advantage of the Windows buffer cache.

Thanks.
Posted: 12/14/2013 09:50:44

1. Congratulations on the release of version 5. I am very happy to see a number of my submitted feature requests implemented. :)

2. Did I miss something or the GPT feature did not make it into v5?
This was a rather important feature.
Yes, it is cosmetic, but we get a lot of bug reports on the issue.

Thanks.
Posted: 12/16/2013 02:36:34

GPT partitioning is present in CBFS5 and CBFS uses it in the case virtual disk is PnP and "fixed" (i.e. StorageType is stDiskPnP and StorageCharacteristics is 0). This is done so because for non-Pnp disks there is no any MBR/GPT at all, and for removable disks Windows doesn't support GPT.
Posted: 12/16/2013 21:03:51

Oh, wow. I wasn't aware of such limitation in Windows regarding removable GPT disks. Or it is such a limitation in regard to CbFS?

Thanks for the info.
Posted: 12/17/2013 01:11:00

It's Windows that at least now doesn't support GPT for removable disks (USB flash drives, etc).
Posted: 12/18/2013 15:40:57
by Eaton Zveare (Standard support level)

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
It's Windows that at least now doesn't support GPT for removable disks (USB flash drives, etc).

Hi Vladimir, are you sure about that? I have a USB hard-disk here and Disk Management allows me to select GPT when initializing the disk.
Posted: 12/19/2013 00:25:56
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

USB Flash drives and USB hard disks are treated differently. USB is just the bus type, and disk type is different.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4461 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!