EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

BSOD in cbfs3.sys

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:18:08
by jean cerien (Basic support level)

Hello

My computer (acer 4810tz) crashes quite often (several times a month), with a BSOD, and the analysis points to CBFS3.sys by eldos corp.

However, I have not installed directly this program, it does not appear in the installed programs, and I have no clue of what it came along with (I guess it is somehow embedded by another software)

I'd like to either remove or update the faulty software, but how can I find which program installed cbfs3.sys ? it currently sits in win/system32/drivers

Thanks fro the help

J.
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:32:33
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to find out, what software installed the drivers.

The driver itself creates a virtual disk (virtual drive letter) and is active only when its functions are used explicitly by some software. So you need to check what software creates virtual disk and ask the vendor of that software to update the driver and provide you the updated version of the software.

We can't give you the updated version of the driver, because the driver is installed by the application and can't be installed by simply copying the file.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:36:31

Thanks for the quick answer, that is nice !

If I were to submit you the list of installed programs on my computer, do you think you could look at this list and hint me to one or two possibles ?

Rgds

J.
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:42:11

I am afraid no because we have hundreds of clients and of all of them we know maybe two or three software titles that use CBFS.

Also, the problem can be caused not by the driver itself but by its use by the application - the driver is tightly linked to the application main code. So it's necessary to locate the application and work with its vendor.

You need to look at what virtual disks are created in the system. Most likely they are created by a tool that maps the cloud storage to the disk or does something similar.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:44:15

There's one more option:

1) boot your system in safe mode (press F8 right after rebooting the computer and hold F8 until the menu appears, then choose Safe mode in menu)
2) find cbfs3.sys on your disk and delete it

If any software fails to work, then you know the source of the problem. And if nothing visible stops working, then, well, can it be some malware (but why would it use cbfs)?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:46:07

Thanks, it does help a lot !

Could this be used in either Google Drive, OVH online sync tool, or Dropbox ?

I truly appreciate your help and your time (saw your other post as well).

Rgds
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:47:32

I'd start with OVH tool. The name tells nothing to me but the other two are less likely - neither google nor dropbox purchased a license from us (though we have many equally large clients :).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/16/2013 13:52:01

I've removed the OVH drive, and renamed cbfs3.sys to something different. I'll see if it helps

In any case, it is truly great to have had your help, thanks again !
Posted: 01/18/2013 08:36:15

ok... found it..... It is a software called BoxCryptor, that encrypts a dropbox folder.

Just ran the update, see if it improves, but it did not update cbfs3.sys per se.

Hope this helps someone in the future !

thanks again for the help
Posted: 01/18/2013 08:43:56

Thank you for checking. The author is present here, so we'll notify him about the problem.

May I ask you for a crash dump in case BSOD happens? Just in case you can help, here are the instructions for getting a memory dump. If the dump is small (they are 64Kb in size), you can post it to HelpDesk. With large dumps we recommend using various services (public Dropbox folder is great).

Having a crash dump will let us understand whether you have the latest version of the driver. If you do, we'll try to find and fix the error. If that's not the latest build, we'll contact the vendor of the application and recommend updating drivers.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 7094 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!