EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Question about RealFileName

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 12/31/2012 15:30:15
by Eaton Zveare (Standard support level)

Hello, starting in CBFS 4, OnGetFileInfo's FileName parameter is sometimes all in upper-case letters, but the actual file name is all lower case. For example, FileName is E://FILE.TXT when the actual name in the file system is E://file.txt. I have CaseSensitiveFileNames set to false.

This is fine, my code handles and returns the file appropriately.

My question is that since the name is not in the correct case, I should set the correct, lower case name to RealFileName, right?

Also, should the full name (E://file.txt) or just file.txt be put into that parameter?
Posted: 01/02/2013 02:26:01
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Perhaps the ShortFileNameSupport property is set to true. That's why CallbackFS suspects that "FILE.TXT" can be the "8.3" name and asks for the real file name.

Eaton wrote:
My question is that since the name is not in the correct case, I should set the correct, lower case name to RealFileName, right?

In any case return the real file name in the correct case.

Eaton wrote:
Also, should the full name (E://file.txt) or just file.txt be put into that parameter?

Just the file name without path.
Posted: 01/02/2013 10:31:48

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
Perhaps the ShortFileNameSupport property is set to true. That's why CallbackFS suspects that "FILE.TXT" can be the "8.3" name and asks for the real file name.

QuoteEaton wrote:
In any case return the real file name in the correct case.

QuoteEaton wrote:
Just the file name without path.

ShortFileNameSupport is set to false and this still happens. I think it is exclusive to one application, though. (Hex Workshop) It seems to request the file in all caps. Once the RealFileName is returned, shouldn't the application use that? Once the application opens the file, the file name is displayed in the title bar in all caps, even though I return the correct name with RealFileName. I should note that this never happens on my Windows drive, it always respects the cases.

Also, a small note: OnGetFileInfo in the help/documentation currently includes ShortFileNameLength and RealFileNameLength in the parameter list, but they are not present in the current release.
Posted: 01/02/2013 11:06:07
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Please specify version of CallbackFS and the type of API (i.e. C++, .NET, Delphi, or Java) you are using.
Thanks.
Posted: 01/02/2013 11:07:42

Vladimir Zinin wrote:
Please specify version of CallbackFS and the type of API (i.e. C++, .NET, Delphi, or Java) you are using.
Thanks.

CBFS v4.0.128.297, .NET 4.0, C#
Posted: 01/02/2013 11:54:21
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Eaton wrote:
Once the RealFileName is returned, shouldn't the application use that?

Why should it? If the application converts the filename to all caps, why would it stop doing this for consequent calls?

Eaton wrote:
Also, a small note: OnGetFileInfo in the help/documentation currently includes ShortFileNameLength and RealFileNameLength in the parameter list, but they are not present in the current release.

You are probably looking at some old documentation. Help topic is correct in its description and this is the same help file that is installed locally.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/02/2013 12:05:27

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
Why should it? If the application converts the filename to all caps, why would it stop doing this for consequent calls?

I was just curious because this never happened with CBFS 3.2. I wasn't sure how CBFS 4 used RealFileName behind the scenes.

Eugene Mayevski wrote:
You are probably looking at some old documentation. Help topic is correct in its description and this is the same help file that is installed locally.

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I attached a picture of what I mean.

Posted: 01/03/2013 08:17:05
by Robert F. (Standard support level)

We had the same problem: You must set CaseSensitiveFileNames to true.

If your file system already handles case sensitivity you don't need to change anything else.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1129 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!